10gb sfp+ NIC card shows link state down no traffic.

tsparks707

Cadet
Hi All,
I'm new to Truenas and need some help.

I purchased a 10Gb SFP+ PCI-E Network Card NIC, with Broadcom BCM57810S Chip, Dual SFP+ Port, PCI Express X8, Support Windows Server /Linux/VMware from Amazon (link here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9T683K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
and installed it in my server. I can see it in the bios and I can see it on the console setup of true nas.
When I go to Configure Network Interfaces I see both ports on the list bxe0 and bxe1 as well as the internal rj45 netwok connection.
On the dashboard however the link state is down

im really not sure how to get this working? I have it connected to a 10gb sfp+ unmanaged switch and have my desktop (With the same card) also attached to the same switch.

The card did come with a driver disk.... but i'm not sure how I can update the drivers in truenas, if that is in fact the issue.

does anyone have any suggestions?
thanks in advance.
tom

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I suggest sending it back, and then going over to the 10 Gig Networking Primer for advice on cards known to work well.

Buying a card and then hoping that it works with your application is not a particularly good strategy for server gear purchases. There are a lot of cards out there that will never work, or never work well, and it is much better to run the problem in the other direction by picking a card known to work well. Often they can be found on eBay inexpensively, though you also need to have some "eBay smarts" to successfully navigate that.

There's really good advice I've posted at

and the thread is highly topical for you as well.

tsparks707

Cadet
I suggest sending it back, and then going over to the 10 Gig Networking Primer for advice on cards known to work well.

Buying a card and then hoping that it works with your application is not a particularly good strategy for server gear purchases. There are a lot of cards out there that will never work, or never work well, and it is much better to run the problem in the other direction by picking a card known to work well. Often they can be found on eBay inexpensively, though you also need to have some "eBay smarts" to successfully navigate that.

There's really good advice I've posted at

and the thread is highly topical for you as well.
Thank you kindly I will read up on it!

tom

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Prompted me to write a better post about buying from eBay.