Recommended and Available SFP+ 10Gig NIC?

GoingOffRoading

Dabbler
After having some bad luck on a knockoff Intel X520-1 SFP+ NIC, I'm on the hunt for an SFP+ NIC for my new TrueNAS setup.

What has made this process difficult is that the NICs that various buying guides here, ServeTheHome.com, and Reddit is that the NICs mentioned:

• Don't appear to be available for purchase on NewEgg, Amazan, eBay, or etc.
  • The entirety of the inventory appears to be knockoffs *cough Intel x520*
  • It's difficult to discern between legitimate and knockoffs
  • It's... Difficult to know if the NIC will work (either not documented well here, or unable to know if the drivers will work)
Relevant Reads:

Examples of questionable SFP+ NIC inventory:

Can anybody point me to SFP+ Nics that:
  • Work in TrueNas Scale?
  • May have available inventory for purchase?

Mathew

Dabbler
I am running a Chelsio T320 without any issues. It seemed to run decent with Core and now Scale as well.

chillyphilly

Cadet
I'm currently using an Intel X520 2 port card that I got from ebay. Have you tested the card in another system to make sure it works at all?

GoingOffRoading

Dabbler
I'm currently using an Intel X520 2 port card that I got from ebay. Have you tested the card in another system to make sure it works at all?
Yes... I ran the cards in an HP Microserver Gen 8, as well as Dell r710s.

Unfortunately I kind of figured out long after the fact that the Intel x520's I have are knockoffs, and don't seem to want to work in Scale

ptyork

Dabbler
Have had no problem with Mellanox ConnectX-3 so far. CX311A's are cheap if you only need one SFP+ (e.g., https://www.ebay.com/itm/224613454909). MCX312B's are also reasonable for dual SFP+. I don't know much about the other models in this range, but those two work for sure. All are power hungry heaters. Get the smallest size one you think you'll need. And consider wiring up an auxiliary fan if you're not running them in a real server case with jet-engine fans.

FYI, the CX314's appear to be 40GB, but these are not Ethernet speeds. Only Infiniband. So only for direct connect, no switches. Guessing they're super power hungry and even hotter. ;)

GoingOffRoading

Dabbler
Have had no problem with Mellanox ConnectX-3 so far. CX311A's are cheap if you only need one SFP+ (e.g., https://www.ebay.com/itm/224613454909). MCX312B's are also reasonable for dual SFP+. I don't know much about the other models in this range, but those two work for sure. All are power hungry heaters. Get the smallest size one you think you'll need. And consider wiring up an auxiliary fan if you're not running them in a real server case with jet-engine fans.

FYI, the CX314's appear to be 40GB, but these are not Ethernet speeds. Only Infiniband. So only for direct connect, no switches. Guessing they're super power hungry and even hotter. ;)
Thanks!

I've been meaning to come back and update my thread.

I bought a 10Gek SFP+ card off of Amazon (it has Intel 82599EN Controller), the ixg (or whatever the acronym is) driver picked it up, and it accepted the direct copper 10gig perfectly.

Mathew

Dabbler

GoingOffRoading

Dabbler
Sorry it's taken so long to reply. I bought mine from eBay as a used pull. I bought mine a couple years ago when, I would assume knock-offs were not as much of an issue.
No problem, TY!

Did yours ship from an overseas wholesaler, or domestically?

Mathew

Dabbler
Domestic. I rarely order anything that matters from overseas. The only thing in my entire lab that came from overseas is the cheap memory heat spreaders that I ordered from AliExpress. :smile:

NugentS

MVP

All look good - from sellers that appear to dismantle kit. Not new - but thats good.

Wish I could get them at that price in the UK
:frown:

I would buy the Chelsio 520 (the last one) in my list above or the Intel (the second one) depending on my chassis size (Chelsio 520 is low profile only)

JeffNAS

Dabbler

I have read that if you purchase an SPF+ card and use a DAX cable the power consumpsion is much lower. Is that true?

ptyork

Dabbler
I have read that if you purchase an SPF+ card and use a DAX cable the power consumpsion is much lower. Is that true?
I use DAC cables in mine. It definitely uses a bit less power. It's still gets quite hot. But yes, when you stick in a transceiver (especially RJ45) it gets a bit hotter. Depends on the transceiver, but likely 2-3 watts more per transceiver compared to DAC.

JeffNAS

Dabbler
I use DAC cables in mine. It definitely uses a bit less power. It's still gets quite hot. But yes, when you stick in a transceiver (especially RJ45) it gets a bit hotter. Depends on the transceiver, but likely 2-3 watts more per transceiver compared to DAC.
Thanks I appreciate the clear answer without attitude. 2-3 watts per port can really add-up in a data cener. I'm sticking with DAC for most short runs. Costs a lot less also. Interms of latency, this funky YouTube video from @MyPlayHouse explains it. The link starts later in the session when he is showing the math that Fiber has the lowest latency but DAC is close behind. RJ45 is the worst. https://youtu.be/N98INdeJn0E?si=o0mqHaiCZRQMN3o1&t=770 . I watched this at a faster play speed :tongue:

JeffNAS

Dabbler
Excuse me using the term GBIC as I am older and retired. However, even on Amazon some vendors call them mini-GBIC, transceivers, and modules.