Scale apps and network

otpi

Contributor
Hello! I need someone to explain some basics, or point me in the right direction.

Tried the plex(pass) app yesterday and learned (from the internet) that apps do not know about NICs?

I have set up one 1G NIC (.11) for TNGUI and made a bidge "br0" (.13) which has a physical member (sfp+). VMs and shares are all on br0, awesome. VMs get IPs whenever they appear (DHCP), even nested VMs get IPs. But not apps...

The plex app defaulted to br0, I think, since the plex web interface is available on br0's IP: ".13:32400".

I found the app settings tab, where I can select which NIC to use. If I had more than one app, would all apps move to the selected NIC and get a new IP if I where to change this setting? Is it possible to assign different NICs to each app?

My old plex instance lives on .4 using the old plugin. In pfSense plex has has .4 reserved, and there is a firewall rule to open port 32400 for access to plex, pointing at .4. Are there any security implications if I point this to .13:32400 compared to a separate IP altogether?

otpi

Contributor

truecharts

Guru
SCALE does not run standard docker, it runs kubernetes using a custom GUI.
Other resources are not really going to help you here.

otpi

Contributor
I'm in over my head o_O

li_chang

Dabbler
I found the app settings tab, where I can select which NIC to use. If I had more than one app, would all apps move to the selected NIC and get a new IP if I where to change this setting? Is it possible to assign different NICs to each app?

My old plex instance lives on .4 using the old plugin. In pfSense plex has has .4 reserved, and there is a firewall rule to open port 32400 for access to plex, pointing at .4. Are there any security implications if I point this to .13:32400 compared to a separate IP altogether?

Hi @otpi, did you mean the Networking section when editing an app? If so, I think you are able to customize interface and IP as the screenshot shows. Besides, .13:32400 seems to be fine as long as you only map this specific port from internet to plex.

1641926849501.png

otpi

Contributor
@li_chang are those the docker image network settings from 'launch docker image'? I used the truecharts app. It does not have those settings(?)

Under 'advanced settings' I see "route v4 interface" which I assumed would select the interface all kube-apps use?

If that is the case I could create another bridge connect it to a different NIC, or just use a NIC without a bridge, and have all kube-apps use that (No shortage of NICs in my case).

1641973121611.png

Last edited:

li_chang

Dabbler
@li_chang are those the docker image network settings from 'launch docker image'? I used the truecharts app. It does not have those settings(?)
Hi @otpi , yes it's under setting for apps manually created... I don't find that in TrueCharts apps, either.

For "route v4 interface", I believe it is global configuration (for all apps). If you would like to set different NICs to each app, the current workaround seems to be only creating app manually.