SFP+ no carrier and no TX (x552)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axel Roijers

Cadet
The plan was to have 10g link between my workstation and NAS.
For this i am using the Gigabyte MB10-DS4 motherboard on the server side, it has 2 SFP+ ports running on Intel x552
For my workstation i'm using a card from a manufacturer called uptimed.nl . It's an Intel x520 da2 under the hood but it came with two of their own SFP+ SR modules so I put one in the workstation the other in the server.

Now I can't get these two to connect. From the windows side i see no errors, however
Freenas gives me
Code:
[root@InsomNAS ~]# ifconfig -v  ix0                                                                                                
ix0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                                                          
        options=e407bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,LRO,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
        ether 40:8d:5c:e4:56:42                                                                                                    
        inet 192.168.10.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.10.255                                                              
        nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>                                                                                      
        media: Ethernet autoselect                                                                                                
        status: no carrier                                                                                                        
        plugged: SFP/SFP+/SFP28 10G Base-SR (LC)                                                                                  
        vendor: Uptimed PN: UP-TRANS-SR-UP SN: UP701130025 DATE: 2017-01-16                                                        
        module temperature: 30.82 C Voltage: 3.31 Volts                                                                            
        RX: 0.78 mW (-1.07 dBm) TX: 0.00 mW (-40.00 dBm)

As you can see "no carrier" and no TX
It's certainly detecting the module, it can read its data and receives signal from the workstation.

I don't know if the x552 ports are vendor locked or not (good luck finding that info anywhere) so i assumed that if they were they would be compatible with the same optics as the x520 These
And because the modules that came with the uptimed card run on what is at its core an intel x520, they should also run on the x552 (Is my logic flawed?).

I have tried switching the modules, checking the cable and connecting both ends to the workstation (it makes a perfect link).
If the module is not compatible how do i check for that, where should i look for a message?
the nic and modules are both Uptimed branded, i know the nic is an x520, I don't know anything about the optics, are they re branded intel optics?
The x552 is supported by freebsd
The QVL of the server motherboard only lists one SFP+ SR module (Wavesplitter 10G Base SR WST-SFP+SRc-C), whats up with that?
Server is running 16GB ECC, Freenas 9.10.2

Any help is welcome.

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The QVL of the server motherboard only lists one SFP+ SR module (Wavesplitter 10G Base SR WST-SFP+SRc-C), whats up with that?
My guess is that it's vendor locked to work with the Cortina CS4227 Controller.
http://b2b.gigabyte.com/Server-Motherboard/MB10-DS4-rev-13#ov
My suggestion is to contact Gigabyte customer support. Register here and search the existing tickets for this platform, your issue may have been solved already. Good luck!

c32767a

Patron
I have tried switching the modules, checking the cable and connecting both ends to the workstation (it makes a perfect link).
If the module is not compatible how do i check for that, where should i look for a message?
the nic and modules are both Uptimed branded, i know the nic is an x520, I don't know anything about the optics, are they re branded intel optics?
The x552 is supported by freebsd

Any help is welcome.

This may be a dumb question, but How are you connecting the 2 SFP+ modules together? Does the cable you are using have a tandem LC connector? or do you have 2 cables each with a single connector? When you say you can connect both ends to the workstation, what do you mean? Can you post a picture of the 2 ends of the cable?

What you describe sounds like you're not getting an optical link. Normally an LC-LC cable is "rolled" so this happens automatically, but if you have 2 single connector cables (uncommon), you have to make sure you roll transmit and receive when you plug them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.