10Gb NIC PCIe X4

NugentS

MVP
Are there any PCIe 3 x4 10Gb NICs supported by TrueNAS Core?
Does the Aquantia work properly yet?

I really want to stick to Core for this box as memory will be tighter as well.

Looking to potentially build a new NAS (if the current one is U/S) - and the board I am looking at (at the moment) only has a PCIe 3X4 and its so small I don't think an X8 will fit even if the slot is open backed (and I am not getting out a dremel)

NugentS

MVP
And it appears that (and how I missed this I am not sure)

Intel X550-T2 (and T1) is PCIe 3x4. But its not SFP+ which I would prefer

Last edited:

Davvo

MVP
As far as I understand, avoiding Aquantia chips is suggested.

Look at this MCX311A-XCAT.

NugentS

MVP
Yeah - aquantia would have made things easy (and possibly not work) unless I moved to Scale - which (again) I do not want to do for this box

Is that Mellanox a drop in device - or di I have to worry about flashing with firmware to make it work?

Davvo

MVP
As far as I know it's plug and play, but I have no hands on experience with it.

You might also want to read the following resource.

mindio

Dabbler
I am solving the same situation, but on SCALE. So maybe won't start new thread, but will ask here...
So what's exactly is this "Aquantia" NIC, could anyone please share more details on the product (model)? So this would work with SCALE?

Also is this Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT card freindly enough with HP or Intel compatible DAC's or Intel FTLX8571D3BCV-IT trancievers?

Davvo

MVP
So what's exactly is this "Aquantia" NIC, could anyone please share more details on the product (model)? So this would work with SCALE?
You should read the following resource.

Any Aquantia 10G NIC is to be avoided. Some SCALE folks might have a different experience, so open a thread in the SCALE section and ask them.

firesyde424

Contributor
Are there any PCIe 3 x4 10Gb NICs supported by TrueNAS Core?
Does the Aquantia work properly yet?

I really want to stick to Core for this box as memory will be tighter as well.

Looking to potentially build a new NAS (if the current one is U/S) - and the board I am looking at (at the moment) only has a PCIe 3X4 and its so small I don't think an X8 will fit even if the slot is open backed (and I am not getting out a dremel)
We use Intel X520-DA2 and Intel X710-DA2 cards in all of our older TrueNAS Core builds. They work very well and we've had no issues with them. FreeBSD Intel driver support, for these cards at least, appears to be very strong. If SFP+ doesn't work for you, both model lines have Ethernet options as well.

We've also moved to the Intel X810 line for our newer TrueNAS Core builds and have had, so far, no issues with those either.

Incidentally, you don't need to get a PCIE 3.0 card. Any 3.0 card or later should be fine, pending driver support, of course.

mindio

Dabbler
You should read the following resource.

Any Aquantia 10G NIC is to be avoided. Some SCALE folks might have a different experience, so open a thread in the SCALE section and ask them.
Yes, I did the reading. And it is all great, I also love and usually use Intel X520/X710. But this thread is about x4 PCIe slot.
So is there any SFP+ options besides 1 port Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT?

Davvo

MVP
As far as I know, no. But I don't dabble in 10G.

nabsltd

Contributor
Yes, I did the reading. And it is all great, I also love and usually use Intel X520/X710. But this thread is about x4 PCIe slot.
Is it truly a PCI x4 slot physically? In other words, can you plug in an "x8" card and have it train at just x4? Is it PCIe 3.0 or higher?

If so, the X710-DA2 will work in a slot that is x8 physical and x4 electrical, and train at PCI 3.0 x4, which is enough to give you the full 10Gbps on each connection. You can get one for about $60 used.

And if you truly have an x4 physical slot, does it have the "tab" on the socket on the end farthest away from the bracket? If not, you can drop an x8 card in there. You can also do some surgery and remove the end to allow the x8 physical card to fit.