ZFS survives a sledgehammer - (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbarb

Dabbler
ZFS survives a sledgehammer ! (video)

Has anyone posted this yet ?

It's pretty amusing . . . a Sun Solaris fellow takes a real sledgehammer to one of the drives in an 8 drive RAIDz2 array - shows how the array survives.

Sun's ZFS Demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGIwg6ye1gE

-Kent

lrusak

Explorer
This is so good.

"I'm gonna compress this drive a little differently"

ProtoSD

MVP
Yeah, it's entertaining, except the part about a "Mission Critical" broken drive being back online in minutes. What mission critical system has such a small amount of data that it can "resilver" and be back online in minutes??? I have 5TB and it took 10 hours to resilver one drive. They don't say what happens if another drive fails before it finishes resilvering, which we know isn't good...

It's still better than other options...

kbarb

Dabbler
Yeh, I was wondering how long it would be before someone pointed that out.
But the basic point remains I think, somewhat vividly, nevertheless.
I just put it up there for the entertainment value - kinda needed that after wading through a bunch of ZFS docs. ;-)

lrusak

Explorer
Yeah, it's entertaining, except the part about a "Mission Critical" broken drive being back online in minutes. What mission critical system has such a small amount of data that it can "resilver" and be back online in minutes??? I have 5TB and it took 10 hours to resilver one drive. They don't say what happens if another drive fails before it finishes resilvering, which we know isn't good...

It's still better than other options...

Yes exactly. I was searching through the video after seeing if he mentioned how much data was on the array but he didn't say

Status
Not open for further replies.