New Install of Freenas 9.1.1 + Plex installed and working but........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistero

Cadet
Hi all,

Please go gentle on me as I am a noob but very willing to learn.

I have successfully installed a fresh copy of Freenas 9.1.1 64bit and have installed and configured the PLEX Media Server plugin. It is all working just fine but I have to ask this question as im struggling to get my head round it.

I have 2 x 1tb sata drives mirrored with a ZFS volume created from this called "NASData" I have then created a sub folder under this called "Media". This is where all of my films and tv shows are kept.

I followed the well known tutorial on youtube from the freenas team View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WF0r36cxO0

It all works perfectly however the media folder is left wide open for anyone on my network to just copy or delete data from this.

Does anyone know how to secure this media folder so everyone can read it (inc the plex plugin) but only I can add or delete files/folders in it?

P.S. I haven't created any users or groups yet it is all a fresh install.

Any help would be very much appreciated! :smile:

Regards

Steve

Joe4evr

Cadet
Well, I'm fairly new here myself, but from what I know about *nix-like systems, you'll have to set the permissions on your media folder. Be sure the folder is owned by your user account (or make a new one if root is the only account), give that account read and write permissions and give everyone else only read permission. That should do the trick.

Mistero

Cadet
My apologies Joe4evr I have tried again and all good :smile: I knew it would be a simple change but just wanted to make sure .... Thanks again! Flan all up and running with separate shares for users etc, all looking good!

Status
Not open for further replies.