SOLVED Can no longer see files ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one is freaking me out and I am very much hoping one of you can give me some guidance. I've been running FreeNAS for a few months successfully. I have all of my media on it hooked up to PLEX Media Server and it works great. Over the weeks though I have noticed that permissions seem to be an issue - when I add a file Plex does not seem to have permissions to see it, so last night I was trying to make changes so a particular file would show up.

In the process I tried for the first time creating datasets. Previously I had one volume, FreeNAS, on which I created folders and the created AFP shares to them. I realized in my research this was likely the wrong way to do it. Anyway, I have a folder called media where all my tv etc is stored and last night I created a dataset also called 'media'. I immediately found that while I can still see these folders they appear to be empty. So, all my media is gone? - No, Plex can still see it all and play files just fine. It's still there you just can not see it through Finder or through FTP anymore. I presumed that it was confusion because I (yes, I know, like an idiot) used an existing folder name and confused everything. I tested my theory by creating a new folder with some files, calling it test, then creating a dataset called test. Sure enough same thing happened, then when I deleted the dataset everything went back to normal. I tried this same approach with media but it won't let me delete that dataset, gives an error saying it is busy. I have tried renaming the share and the folder but it won't let me rename the folder.

Any ideas how to get out of this problem? Without being able to view the folders I am really stuck for next steps.

Thanks in advance for indulging the technically challenged.

krikboh

Patron
You can rename the dataset.

1. zfs rename poolname/datasetA/ugly poolname/datasetA/sightly

Thanks for the reply - could you expand on how - I presume you have to do this from a shell command line because through the GUI it does not seem to have the option ...

OK, I figured that out at the shell line, thanks again for the response. I get the error 'Device Busy'. I presume that would be because services are still trying to reach it so I will try shutting everything down first. I'll post back

Kirkboh - HUGH THANKS! I know it was a simple thing but after shutting down all services, plugins and jails I was able to rename the dataset. Like magic everything is back how it should be! Thanks for taking the time to help out

krikboh

Patron
Good to hear!

Status
Not open for further replies.