Jails and plugins and such

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wardy

Dabbler
Hi all,

I am currently planning to build a FreeNas server and I am trying to understand as much as possible before I begin. What I want on my server is:

- A plex server
- Couchpotato, sickbeard and transmission
- A download and media folder shared by the users
- A private folder for each user
- A teamspeak server

So I want to have a jail for the teamspeak server, which shouldn't be a problem. I was wondering about the plex, couchpotato sickbeard and transmission. Should they all be installed in the same jail or do I need a seperate jail for each plugin?

Do I need to make seperate datasets for the users and one for the download and media folders, or should I put all those folders in one dataset and make a share for each user and one share for both the download and media folder? And would plex even be able to find the files in the media folder if I put plex in a jail and the media folder not in a jail?

Last question: I am starting off with 3 1TB drives in raidz1, if I add another three drives to the pool later on, will the dataset I allready made be expanded, or will it still be limited to the 2TB it had when I created the dataset?

Sorry if I asked something very dumb, I am new.
Thanks in advance :)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
A plugin is a jail. If you use the preconfigured plugins for those apps, you will be using a different jail for each. My preference is to have all my download tools in one jail, Plex in another.

I don't understand your question about the users. You can arrange your datasets in any fashion you desire.

Read about jails and mounting storage and your questions will be answered. All of your jails can share the same storage if you so desire.

If you add another vdev later it will expand. You aren't limited to a dataset size unless you put a quota on it.

Wardy

Dabbler
A plugin is a jail. If you use the preconfigured plugins for those apps, you will be using a different jail for each. My preference is to have all my download tools in one jail, Plex in another.

I don't understand your question about the users. You can arrange your datasets in any fashion you desire.

Read about jails and mounting storage and your questions will be answered. All of your jails can share the same storage if you so desire.

If you add another vdev later it will expand. You aren't limited to a dataset size unless you put a quota on it.

Thanks you for the quick response! I do need to look more into datasets and volumes I guess, since you didn't onderstand my question I probably don't understand the hierarchies of dataset, volumes and shares yet (as I feared). Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.