MiniDLNA and Plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

José Crispim

Dabbler
Dear Friends
I installed the 9.1.1 FreeNaas in virtual box, shared files, created groups, i decided to share both Network and FTP. In this aspect went well.
But both Plex such as MiniDLNA everything went wrong, ie follow the steps of todso install mode, for example:
http://forums.freenas.org/threads/request-for-minidlna-guide-for-freenas-9-1-1.14673/#post-74414
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WF0r36cxO0

and Windows "does not see" sharing multimedia.
I'm not experienced working on the command line.
I have to open ports on your router for Plex / Mini DLNA? What?
What is wrong?
Somebody help me?
thank you
José Crispim

José Crispim

Dabbler
Nobody can help me?

Whattteva

Wizard
I'd just like to let you know before you proceed any further and risk losing all your data.
FreeNAS is not meant to be used in a VM. You will get zero to no help from the forums if you don't heed this warning.

Refer to this thread for more information.

José Crispim

Dabbler
Ok
I use VM only for test before install it in real hardware.
Tank you for your help
Bye

José Crispim

Dabbler
After some "fight" I managed to get everything working, but unfortunately without the help of this forum.
The only problem was in VIMAGE enabled when it should be off.
I tested everything and wrote an article on my website. Not yet translated into English, but will be soon .
For those who need help can contact me does or not work with virtual machine because I have no complexes.
The article is here:
http://en.jose-crispim.pt/artigos/armazenamento/armaz_art/05_freenas.html
Greetings to all and you should stop being complexed
Thanks for not helping

Whattteva

Wizard
I don't know why you took that in such an indignant way. I was merely giving you a warning and nothing more. There was no insult or even demeaning tone. It was a warning because countless people failed to read that thread in the past and lost their entire zpools, then come here expecting help when they should've read that thread before even attempting such things. It's stickied for a good reason.

Obviously, this doesn't apply to you since you're only doing it to experiment with things, not for production. But, how was I supposed to know that? You gave no indication whatsoever about that in your opening post.
But some people need to not be so defensive because all we're trying to do is to prevent you from becoming the next statistic. Hint: We're trying to HELP you, not belittle you. Discouraging newcomers does no good for anyone, including the FreeNAS community itself; because it discourages new people that could potentially contribute back to the community in the future. And above all, no one likes to lose their precious data. We don't jump in joy whenever someone loses their data. If that were the case, I wouldn't have even bothered to warn you.

Ironically, the one that has the most complex here is yourself (I mean, you even feel it necessary to even put that in your signature). I think most people that frequent these forums could care less about the size of their e-peen. We are all just a bunch of faceless words, after all.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
After some "fight" I managed to get everything working, but unfortunately without the help of this forum.

Well, you know...

1. I personally prefer to figure stuff out on my own. Once I do(especially if it was painful to learn) I'll never forget it.
2. If everyone else figured stuff out on their own that would be fine by me. Less threads I need to read through.
3. We typically prefer users to post their solution here and not some other website as those links break quite frequently.
4. Whatteva was trying to do you a favor. I closed your thread the first time you posted the second I saw you using a VM. Plenty of people have lost all of their data and been a statistic because they didn't want to read and learn. They just wanted to execute code and cry about lost data. So quite frankly, you owe him a "thank you" and appology for the attitude when he was trying to do you a favor(even if it wasn't the solution to your problem).
5. And lastly, we're all here as volunteers. I don't get paid to answer questions, just like you don't get charged to ask them. So why you'd get upset because volunteers don't jump at the "opportunity" to help you is beyond me. Nevermind that we just might not have the answer since we didn't have your problem.

Glad you got it figured out though.

José Crispim

Dabbler
Wattteva
The answer was not specifically addressed to you but to the entire Forum, where a person asks for help and no one bothers to answer.
The only answer was yours, and I am very grateful.
In my perspective whenever I ask for help I give without any complex technological.
I did not like the attitude of anyone answer me, perhaps because I am using a VM. Moreover, according to the documentation of FreeNAS, it is compatible with VM.
And the problem was very simple to solve.
Thanks again.
greetings
Jose Crispim
(Portugal)

José Crispim

Dabbler
Cyberjock
Glad to "personally prefer to figure stuff out on your own."
Now I understand. If your answer reflects the attitude of most users of the forum (and it seems so) then this forum is a forum for "very smart people" and I really do not deserve to participate in a forum like this.
Thanks for your answer
greetings

Whattteva

Wizard
I'm sorry that your first experience wasn't so great.
I wouldn't immediately discount the forums just yet though. You should give it another chance or 2 and see how it plays out. I myself am fairly new to the forums (as you can see in my post count).
If it still disappoints you, then you can probably make your final conclusion. I sincerely hope the next time you have an issue, you'll have a much better experience with it.

Regarding the VM issue. It's not that it's not compatible with it or anything. You can certainly use it in a VM and it will often times run very well. It's just not the recommended way of using it. Because when something goes wrong, it typically goes very horribly wrong and people end up losing their whole data store.
Someone in another thread described it like having a car accident. As long as you drive well and not run into any accident or drunk drivers, then all is fine. However, it only takes one bad accident to happen for you to completely regret not following the recommendations (like following speed limit, putting on speed belt, etc.). The same is true with running FreeNAS in a VM. It can run great for years and years until one bad glitch happens and all of the sudden, all of your data pools will no longer mount.

I'm not aware of any data recovery service that claims 100% recovery rate with ZFS and if such things exist, it probably will cost you in the thousands or even tens of thousands. Are you willing to take that risk?

I'm glad you figured your issue out. It's great that you also decide to help others by even making a walk-through page on it. Keep up the good work! :cool:

José Crispim

Dabbler
ok Whattteva
Thank you
Bye

José Crispim

Dabbler
Still on the VM
Personally I use the VirtualBox only for testing the systems that I will implement. In my opinion it is not logical to implement a virtual file server and I fully agree that a file server should not be implemented virtually ..
The interpretation you gave to my question was not properly done because I would never use a VM to implement a data server.
Perhaps there was a misunderstanding and probably because I have not explained the issue properly.
Anyway I never retreat to conclusions and always give the benefit of the doubt (I do not know if I'm using a correct expression in english).
Thank you again.
If you need my help (and help if I know) say.
greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.