SOLVED Yup. Another No pool found

NickF

Guru

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I think this diverged from serious quite a few messages back.

magickarle

Dabbler
ended to be a bad backplane. got it replaced and all are good.
I bough one spare just in case ... never know when it's going to explode again.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
bad backplate.

Bad... backplane, you mean? The backplane is the big printed circuit board with all the SAS/SATA and SFF connectors on it. These do go bad now and then, especially because of the mechanical mating cycles of drive insertion and removal.

magickarle

Dabbler
Bad... backplane, you mean? The backplane is the big printed circuit board with all the SAS/SATA and SFF connectors on it. These do go bad now and then, especially because of the mechanical mating cycles of drive insertion and removal.
Sorry yes. Backplane.
The disks were not removed that often.
It's a capacitor or resistor that was bad and half of the 16 drives were not communicating.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Sorry yes. Backplane.

What vendor? I like to keep track of these things. Failed capacitors suggest poor design... back in the day when SATA was new, AIC had a real poor track record for their row backplanes failing. The upside was that they were individually replaceable so you weren't losing 24 drives at a shot, just the four.

magickarle

Dabbler
What vendor? I like to keep track of these things. Failed capacitors suggest poor design... back in the day when SATA was new, AIC had a real poor track record for their row backplanes failing. The upside was that they were individually replaceable so you weren't losing 24 drives at a shot, just the four.
Well, I don't think it was the manufacture's fault. I have found couple of fried spiders so I think it shorted something. Literally it's a bug ;)
Brand is innovation tech (china brand).
I had no difficulties to send back and get a new one (except I pay shipment to send back and downtime)

Last edited: