Yet another poor NFS performance thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Hager

Dabbler
So I'd like to think I've made good choices up to this point. However the performance I'm getting right now would say otherwise. We are moving our media team away from SAN's and onto smaller Freenas boxes with the following configurations:

Dell R510 chasis
64GB ecc ram (could be upgraded if this is the bottleneck)
2x Xeon E5504 (could also be upgraded if this is the bottleneck)
Intel 10Gb card connected to HP 5820 10Gb switch
LSI 9207-8i SAS card
12 7200RPM WD Enterprise Black HD's 64MB cache
Intel S3700's for Zil and L2Arc

Currently my NFS speeds are painful. I'm getting ~160MB reads and writes. If I use AFP I can get 300MB to 400MB read/writes. Before adding the S3700's I was getting about 100MB/sec (NFS) which after adding them I assumed my Zil was getting hammered so I tried the disable zil tunable out of curiosity, it didn't make any improvement. After enabling autotune my speeds got slightly worse. I know its a dirty thing to do but I threw in a H700 Raid card for testing and I got the same performance. Since nothing I do appears to be changing the performance I get I think I'm looking in the wrong place. If I could get 300MB read/write via nfs I would be deploying this to production...

I've tested via two different 10Gbe Mac's with different hardware and the same results. This will eventually go to our all Mac design team which will connect via 10Gbe. This build has confused me since I've built out backup boxes in the past with the same configuration and better speeds.

Any ideas?

Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Can you provide a debug file? System -> Advanced -> Save Debug.

Chris Hager

Dabbler
Thanks for the quick reply. I've uploaded the tar file.

Attachments

• debug-video01-20150508112736.tgz
    98.7 KB · Views: 259

Chris Hager

Dabbler
FWIW I also tried updating to the latest version earlier without any improvement as well. Rolled back since I've had good luck with 9.2.1.8. I've also done several different drive configurations with the 12 storage drives. Currently I have them all striped but eventually they will be RaidZ2 with two vdev's.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, the first thing to do is to not keep switching up configurations. Choose the configuration you want and use it. Otherwise we can't tell what the config is when you get a particular result. People get frustrated with everything changing and they leave and you get no answer. ;P

Chris Hager

Dabbler
Understandable, Up till now I've only tried different setups to try to find the bottleneck.

I'll put it back to my original plan. LSI SAS card, RaidZ2 with two vdev's, ssd ZIL and L2Arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.