(Yet another) Node 304 Build Validation

Status
Not open for further replies.

creekmor

Dabbler
Hello! I have been reading through a number of other builds and I am fairly confident in my budget build, but I would still appreciate someone with more experience to give me a warm fuzzy that everything will work as I expect.
I have no illusions that I am going to be transcoding bluray rips in plex and serving out active directory and samba shares to 50 users. I hope to use it as a cheap, low power usage file server to hold and have multiple copies of my critical data (family pictures/videos, etc).

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220

RAM: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148770

MOBO: ASRock Motherboard, Mini ITX DDR3 1066 LGA 1150 E3C224D2I

PSU: Seasonic 360W 80PLUS Gold

HDD: A couple of WD Reds X TB Mirrored (Still trying to determine space needs)

BOOT: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 8GB (On the super cool internal USB)

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

Fraoch

Patron
Looks really good.

You may want to consider a second USB drive so you have mirrored boot drives.

Fraoch

Patron

creekmor

Dabbler
I like it. I have Amazon prime, so 6 more bucks is worth the added benefit of not having to configure everything again if a USB fails.

Fraoch

Patron
Of course you should also keep a backup of your configuration database somewhere too. Reinstalling is a simple matter of installing a fresh OS onto a new stick, auto-importing the pool and loading the backup.

Running off the mirror would be faster and less risky though. :smile:

pschatz100

Guru
As long as you are buying new components, I would recommend a 16Gb usb stick instead of 8Gb. 8Gb is OK, but with the new update process for FreeNAS 9.3, 16Gb will give you more headroom for keeping boot images.

creekmor

Dabbler
Noted - Thank you. I thought I remembered seeing 8 somewhere but 16 isn't a big jump in price.

pschatz100

Guru
8Gb is the recommended minimum for a boot device under FreeNAS 9.3. However, the new update system stores updates on the boot device and lets you revert to a previous version if an update fails or has a major bug. 16Gb gives you more space to keep old boot images. Just more convenient if you are a frequent updater.

I have an 8Gb stick, so I'm using it. But if I were buying new, I'd buy 16Gb.

joelmusicman

Patron
Creekmor: I'm running almost that exact config, except using 6x "desktop" Seagate 3TB hard drives. I have no complaints about anything except the drives I chose. I can confirm that real-time Plex transcoding doesn't work so well, but otherwise it can handle quite a lot.

creekmor

Dabbler
Thanks for the warm fuzzy, Joel. Did you have a hard time with the cable management in the case? I've heard some complaints on making things fit

creekmor

Dabbler
Thanks for the heads up - I'll add one to my list (Actually I think I have some already)

pschatz100

Guru
Creekmor: I'm running almost that exact config, except using 6x "desktop" Seagate 3TB hard drives. I have no complaints about anything except the drives I chose. I can confirm that real-time Plex transcoding doesn't work so well, but otherwise it can handle quite a lot.
If transcoding is a priority, you would be better off with a Core i3. However, the Pentium is a good choice for basic NAS functions.

creekmor

Dabbler
Could anyone recommend a UPS for this setup? I don't need to power anything else but the NAS on the battery while it shuts down.

Would this do the trick?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Could anyone recommend a UPS for this setup? I don't need to power anything else but the NAS on the battery while it shuts down.

Would this do the trick?
It would work. If you're ok with spending a bit more, a pure sinewave UPS might be safer with modern PSUs, but the Back-UPS Pro has been working well for me.

Gonzalo

Patron
Thanks for the warm fuzzy, Joel. Did you have a hard time with the cable management in the case? I've heard some complaints on making things fit
If you have patience and a bunch of zip ties you can do a good job. See my server here. As @joelmusicman said, the correct order of the components installation is important and a full modular PSU too. Also, I didn't need additional cables for hard drives.

Last edited:

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
There is Micron and Crucial is Micron ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.