Xpenology vm in virtualbox on FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pintu1228

Explorer
Hello everyone,

I currently run Xpenology on Esxi 6.5 and wanted to move to FreeNAS but wanted to know if I can run Xpenology inside virtual box on FreeNAS so I can transfer all my data onto FreeNAS instead of backing up onto external drives.

If so, how would I go about setting up FreeNAS to install Xpenology and allowing to see my data to copy over from Xpenology?

Do I setup NFS shares and if so how would I exactly do that?

Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
Since version 9.10.2, you can't run VirtualBox on FreeNAS at all--it's gone away. You'd want to use bhyve anyway, as it's a superior hypervisor.

styno

Patron
Whow wait... :smile: The technical-lunatic in me is now shouting: "Yes! Do it! Try it! 'cause you can!" But if your data is involved this may not end well.
Just take a step back and tell us what you are doing with Xpenology today and what you expect from FreeNAS.
Also, please be aware that Virtualbox unfortunately ended on FreeNAS and will be replaced.

pintu1228

Explorer
Ok so currently I am running Xpenology on Esxi 6.5 along with Ubuntu (used for Plex). On the Xpenology, I mostly use it to store my media files, personal files, pictures. I also use it for Sonarr, NZBget, and Crashplan. I use the Photo Station, Cloud Station and Download Station apps mostly on my Android/iOS devices.

What I want to do is basically install FreeNAS and have a way to copy over all my data from Xpenology so I can avoid copy all of the data on external hard drives which would take a long time and require multiple drives to accomplish.

So what is the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks

I'm keen on these idea. Like to have a xpenology as my file system manager and leverage its download station app to download stuff. Is there a a way to do it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fran Aquino

Dabbler
The Cloud Station feature on Synology products and its associated PC sync clients are pretty sweet.

Stux

MVP
Are you planning on using new disks? Or do you need to recycle the disks that the Xpenology is using?

pintu1228

Explorer
I plan on using some new disks first to copy over data and eventually re-purpose existing hard drives for FreeNAS.

Boolve

Cadet
Hi,
I was googling about it and find your post.
Exactly what I want to do. Just because I do really like zfs, and I do really likesynology DiskStation OS.
My idea was , to build FreeNAS bare metal box and give a big data set for XPenology, and most of the stuff organise on Synology DS OS with its apps. XPenology will see just single disk and that's is totally fine.
Not sure though how to install XPenology as FreeNAS VM.

Status
Not open for further replies.