Done with Xpenology...need some help with new FreeNAS install

Status
Not open for further replies.

pintu1228

Explorer
Hi,

I am in the process of moving away from Xpenology and onto FreeNAS but have a few questions on setup:

1. I have the following drives (5 x 3TB and 3 x 2TB), what is the best way to setup these drives for FreeNAS? I will be installing owncloud, plex, subsonic, sickbeard, transmission,etc.

Would it be better to create a zpool with 3 x 2TB drives and use that for my owncloud (I have data for 5 users thats totals to around 2TB)?

2. I currently have a LSI 9211-8i card flashed to IT mode but it on a older firmware p16, do I need to flash to newest p20 firmware and if so how do I go about doing this? Any guide to accomplish this would be great.

3. How do I setup FreeNAS so I can use my 10Gbe cards on both the FreeNAS and computer (using fiber cables to connect them) so I can transfer large files across?

Thanks

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
1. Has nothing to do with what applications you plan on running on it. Decide what redundancy level you want and what your needs are. We can't decode that for you.

2. There are instructions here on the forums for doing exactly this. Lots of Google results too. It's not hard to do.
According to this in the user manual:
http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/alert.html
An alert is also generated when the Avago HBA firmware version does not match the driver version. To resolve this alert, download the IT (integrated target) firmware, not the IR (integrated RAID) firmware, from the Avago website. Specify the name of the firmware image and BIOS as well as the controller to flash:

sas2flash -o -f firmwareimagename -b biosname -c controllernumber

When finished, reboot the system. The new firmware version will appear in the system messages and the alert will be cleared.

3. Add another network address that is not on the same subnet as the 1gb card. Configure PC with a 10gb nic on that same subnet. Plug them in. Use the 10gb IP of the FreeNAS to connect to your share over that 10gb link.

pintu1228

Explorer
Thanks that was really helpful, quick question regarding point 1:

Would it be fine to run all my disk (5 x 3TB and 3 x 2TB) on 1 zpool with raidz2 and then later upgrade remaining 3 x 2TB drives to 3TB?

Also would running freeNAS on ssd have any benefit? I saw some post where some users are using SSD, what benefit would this have? And how do I go about doing that for my setup?

Thanks

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You can run all your disks in a pool and upgrade your small disks at any time to increase the overall size of the pool.

I don't see any benefit in running the OS on an SSD. I wanted FreeNAS originally because I didn't want to waste a SATA port on the OS drive. I want to run my OS from a USB.

If you want to run on an SSD, you just simply install to an SSD. There's nothing special you need to do to make it work.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Would it be fine to run all my disk (5 x 3TB and 3 x 2TB) on 1 zpool with raidz2 and then later upgrade remaining 3 x 2TB drives to 3TB?
Yes, and that was going to be my suggestion, but realize that the extra 1TB on each 3TB drive will be unused until you upgrade the 2TB drives to 3TB (or greater) drives.

pintu1228

Explorer
Thanks,

Would it be beneficial to run SSD as cache drive or to put FreeNAS on it? Or should I just install FreeNAS on flash drive?

Also if I have 1 zpool for all my drives, do you recommend creating multiple vdevs for Movies, Music, TV Shows, Cloud storage (multiple users files will be saved), Backups, etc? Any suggestions on best way to organize this?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
No. You don't need a cache drive at all with your setup.

I think you might be confused on what a vdev is.

A vdev is a grouping of one or more disks. A pool is comprised of one or more vdevs.

What you're looking for here is called a 'dataset'.

I always use datasets to separate out functions and types of data.

pintu1228

Explorer
thanks,

In a post you mentioned "My 'downloads' jail is a plain jail. No plugins. I installed everything I needed for all my download automation and Usenet via pkg or portsnap."

How do you setup sonarr, nzbget and couch potato, I'm really new to this? Can you help me?

also i can't make a 'media' user with 816 UID since there is already one created somehow (8675309 is UID for meda), how can i delete and add again?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
What do you mean how do I set them up? Install them, run them, go to their IP and port, and configure them.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
How do you setup sonarr, nzbget and couch potato, I'm really new to this? Can you help me?
Each app has its own website, documentation and user community, where you can learn how to install it on various systems. In the case of installing in a FreeNAS jail, you're looking for directions for FreeBSD.

pintu1228

Explorer
Thanks, what I meant was should I install them with each separate installer or have them in one jail?

What is better?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Thanks, what I meant was should I install them with each separate installer or have them in one jail?

What is better?
It's up to you. I prefer to have them all in the same jail, but right now I have sonarr in its own jail, and everything else in another jail.

However you want to manage your network.

pintu1228

Explorer
any specific guide to install nzbget, I can't seem to find any info for that?

Also my 'media' user has already been created and I can't change the UID, how do I fix this so I don't run into any issue with permissions for plugins? (picture is attached)

So what jails do you have running in 1 jail?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 240

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If you're setting up your own jail, it doesn't matter what 'media' user is. You don't need it.

I believe I already explained exactly how to install nzbget

Stux

MVP
I'd suggest 8 way raidz 2 across all 8 disks.

A good layout for growth.

*if* you were concerned about the lost TB on the 3TB devices you could partition them into 2/1TB partitions and build two pools, 1 8x2TB Z2, and a different pool made out of the remaining 5 1TB partitions.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Also my 'media' user has already been created and I can't change the UID, how do I fix this
Just delete that user if you want to reuse the user name for a different ID. Keep in mind that the chown command accepts user IDs and group IDs.

To expand on what @pirateghost said, the most convenient setup is for the various apps to use the same user and group IDs, but it doesn't matter what the user and group names are. So you can keep your existing 'media' user if you really want to.

pintu1228

Explorer
Thanks,

So I have installed Transmission, Nzbget, and Sonarr on 1 standard jail, I need help in setting up the folders. What I want is nzbget and transmission to download to 'downloads' dataset and then do post-processing (rename tv show) and put it in my existing folders for TV Shows (located on /mnt/Media/TV Shows/)

Also I am running into issue where I try to add existing show from my TV Shows directory but Sonarr doesn't add shows and doesn't scan existing files, how do I fix this?

Thanks

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
So what's the issue? You've just described exactly how these things work.

As far as sonarr goes, without knowing your configuration, there's no way to tell you how to fix it...

pintu1228

Explorer
So the issue I am trying to figure out is:

For all plugins that reside in my media_jail (i created standard jail), would the source be 'downloads' dataset (/mnt/Media/downloads) and destination be the location to where my TV Shows folder resides (/mnt/Media/TV Shows)?

Do I have to configure each plugin individually through webui, like renaming episodes??

Status
Not open for further replies.