Hi Everyone, Newbi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrow1990

Cadet
Hi All,
I bought a Synology DS212j back in 2012 and loved the software in which i then later found out (Like most do) That it can do a lot more and started to download and stream Movies & TV Shows. I Shortly found out that it was slow and found Xpenology in which was fantastic at first but I've had issues where i have lost whole volume (Back Up To The Rescue) in which i have found FreeNAS.
Over time i have acquired hard drives in which i just added to the Xpenology box which is now been repurposed to FreeNAS.
The hard drives in question are:
3 x 2TB
2 x 1TB
4 x 500GB
1 x 120GB SSD

The System Specs:

CPU - Intel i5-2400
Motherboard - Intel DQ670W
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 1866 2x8GB Kit & 1 Random 2GB Stick
NIC - Intel Built In & Intel Pro 1000 PCIe 1 Port Expansion

I have built the FreeNAS and read "FreeNAS 4 Noobs" (Worth The Read)
In which i have decided that i have done my setup wrong. I Currently have it set with Volume1 comprising of:
2x2TB (Mirror0)
2x1TB (Mirror1)
2x500GB (Mirror2)
2x500GB (Mirror3)

& 1 x 2TB & 1 x 120GB SSD Currently set up separately.
Ive also got the above Synology offsite with 250GB Hard drive for the essential back up.

Im wanting to setup redundancy with the above hard drives for stuff i want to keep safe and movies & Tv shows separately.
What are you recommendations?

Inxsible

Guru
Welcome to the forums !

What kind of redundancy are you looking for ? The mirrors that you have will provide you a 1 drive redundancy in each mirror vdev. So you could have 1 drive fail in every pair and you would still not lose any data.

If you are thinking about moving to RAIDZ2, then you would need same sized drives in each vdev to fully utilize the space or you would only get the space equivalent to the smallest drive. You could also have mirrors vdevs and a RAIDZ2 vdev (4x500GB), but personally I try not to mix RAIDZ configurations because you lose the 2 drive redundancy if one of your mirror has issues in both the drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.