Hello Everyone

What Upgrades should I do?

• Second E5-2603V1 CPU (4 Core 4 Thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Two E5-2609V2 CPU's (4 Core 4 Thread)

• 64BG Registered ECC Ram

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haysden Smart

Dabbler
I would like to introduce myself and say a big than you to everyone on the forum. I have been a long time user of FreeNAS and have spent allot of time going through the forums for additional support. Thankfully I have not had to ask for any additional support. I do believe that is about to change though.

I have recently setup a new SOHO FreeNAS;
Intel S2600CS2 Motherboard
Intel Xeon E5-2603 CPU (Need a second one and possibly faster in future upgrade)
24GB Registered ECC 1333Mhz RAM
1 by LSI 9122 (Intel M1015 Flashed to IT Mode) Had to use UEFI Shell to flash as I do not have a motherboard that supports the DOS sas2flash application
8 by WD RED NAS 2TB Disks running Z1 4x2x2TB configuration for main Data Volume (DataVolume1)
2 by Kingston V300 240GB SSD's running Striped configuration for Plugins/Jails Store (Plugins)
1 by Kingston V300 240GB SSD for DataVolume 1 Read Cache
2 x Intel Dual 1000MBit NIC in 1 Link Aggregation

Running Home Server with PMS (Plex Media Server), SickRage and Transmission
Running Work File Server, hoping to get Domain Controller working soon. Prooving to be a little trickier than expected. (working progress)

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Welcome to the forums M8

Haysden Smart

Dabbler
I would have started with Z2, however as 4 disks came out another older freenas, i just extended with a further 4 disks.
I am currently running RSYNC to backup, then I will change to Z2 and restore.

Thanks for the info.

Hey and welcome to the forums, glad youre enjoying plex,sickrage, and transmission. Plex and sickrage are my favorites, i would shoot for a higher Ghz CPU and more RAM, can never have enough RAM specially when running multiple plugins

Haysden Smart

Dabbler
Thanks for your replies guys, it is always good to have input from other FreeNas users.

After upgrading from my old machine that was a a hack together and considered a bit of a "no no". AMD FX 4 Core running on ASUS consumer motherboard with 32GB Non ECC DDR3 Ram. I can see why everyone recommends server hardware.

My new FreeNAS has been running very nicely for over 2 weeks now with absolutely no hiccups and everything appears to be operating smoother than ever. Even know I am running less RAM and a slower CPU.

Haysden Smart

Dabbler
upgraded to 64GB of Kingston ECC RAM today (8xKVR1333D3D4R9/8G) and now my drives are hardly ever accessed. All DLNA info and file lists reside in RAM or the 250GB SSD Read Cache drive.

Haysden Smart

Dabbler
I have just recently upgraded to 64GB ECC ram and now purchased 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2670 CPU's.

Probably a bit of overkill for a FreeNas set-up. However I am running FreeNas 9.3 with plex, Transmission and sickrage plugins, plus a Virtually jail running FreePBX, 2 Web servers and a windows small business server 2008.

Will let everyone know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.