Hey everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgerbik

Cadet
I'm a graduate student in physics and in my spare time I've been working on building my first server. It will primarily be used for storing personal files and media.

Hardware
Gigabyte GA-X150M-PRO ECC
Intel G3950
Kingston 16 GB ECC
Seasonic G-450
8x 4 TB WD HDD

I've installed FreeNAS 11 RC as it's the only build that has played nice with my system so far (save for the error pmc: unknown intel cpu during boot) and have been using various guides (thanks UncleFester) to set up and test a configuration that will suit my use. Things have been going relatively smoothly. I'm just trying to figure out how to properly set up shares and permissions as one of the final tasks. I've already referenced many forum posts for help so thanks to all, this looks to be a solid community. I know I'll be needing some help so you'll be hearing from me again soon I'm sure haha.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I'm a graduate student in physics and in my spare time I've been working on building my first server. It will primarily be used for storing personal files and media.

Hardware
Gigabyte GA-X150M-PRO ECC
Intel G3950
Kingston 16 GB ECC
Seasonic G-450
8x 4 TB WD HDD

I've installed FreeNAS 11 RC as it's the only build that has played nice with my system so far (save for the error pmc: unknown intel cpu during boot) and have been using various guides (thanks UncleFester) to set up and test a configuration that will suit my use. Things have been going relatively smoothly. I'm just trying to figure out how to properly set up shares and permissions as one of the final tasks. I've already referenced many forum posts for help so thanks to all, this looks to be a solid community. I know I'll be needing some help so you'll be hearing from me again soon I'm sure haha.
Welcome to the forums!

I doff my hat in admiration to anyone smart enough to study graduate-level physics... Impressive!

You've had problems with the current stable FreeNAS version? And the 11RC version works for you? That's odd... typically it's the other way around.

Version 11 is supposed to be released later this month, but the more prudent users will no doubt wait for the dust to settle before upgrading to it.

Good luck!

mrgerbik

Cadet
Yeah, it's strange. The latest stable release would either hang or throw a ton of errors when booting. When I searched the forum for related issues it was suggested to try 9.10.2 based on FreeBSD 11 which would hang during installation and 11 RC which throws the unknown intel cpu error during boot but otherwise has been working so far as I can tell. I still need to do some testing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.