how to enable users to download files from Freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

pintu1228

Explorer
Hi, so what I am trying to achieve is allows users to be able download a movie/tv show directory, I was able to create users and they were able to download from folders on Xpenology but I am trying to figure if this is all possible in Freenas before I start installing it.

Also what is the difference between NextCloud and Bittorrent Sync? I want users to have their own cloud similar to how Synology has Cloud Station.

If someone can provide me on how exactly to create users to both download files from FreeNAS remotely and backup their files that would be great.

Thanks in advanced.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Sharing files is somewhat easy such as allowing all users to access a specific directory like "Movies". What have you read so far to try and figure this out on your own? Have you read the user manual? There are several good threads here in the forums, just do a Google search for it.

As for user accessing remotely, I assume you mean over the internet, you should use a VPN in my opinion. That is another search.

Can't help on NextCloud or Bit torrent Sync.

The questions you are asking do not have simple answers. It's not a click here and there and it's all working unfortunately, we all would like something like that. I'll give you an example, for remote access to my FreeNAS server over the internet I have a VPN setup through my internet router. My internet router is Sophos, a very good piece of protection but rather difficult to setup, much more difficult than FreeNAS for sure. You likely could setup a VPN on your router but that depends on the software in your router, otherwise your NAS could be open on the internet. You could setup an SSH for the internet but that would give very open access to users. Another way is to setup an SFTP server over the internet and share the movies, that could be the easiest way to go but you will need to open up a firewall rule to allow a port to pass the SFTP through. I'd say a SFTP might be the easiest to setup.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

pintu1228

Explorer
Adding to this post, just wanted to ask a few questions regarding setup for FreeNAS:

1. I have the following drives (5 x 3TB and 3 x 2TB), what is the best way to setup these drives for FreeNAS? I will be installing owncloud, plex, subsonic, sickbeard, transmission,etc.

Would it be better to create a zpool with 3 x 2TB drives and use that for my owncloud (I have data for 5 users thats totals to around 2TB)?

2. I currently have a LSI 9211-8i card flashed to IT mode but it on a older firmware p16, do I need to flash to newest p20 firmware and if so how do I go about doing this? Any guide to accomplish this would be great.

3. How do I setup FreeNAS so I can use my 10Gbe cards on both the freenas and computer (using fiber cables to connect them) so I can transfer large files across?

Thanks

joeschmuck

Old Man
1. I have the following drives (5 x 3TB and 3 x 2TB), what is the best way to setup these drives for FreeNAS? I will be installing owncloud, plex, subsonic, sickbeard, transmission,etc.
Depends on what your storage expectations are, not which applications you will be running. You could put all 8 drives together in a RAIDZ2 but each drive would be treated as a 2TB drive. When you start to run out of hard drive space you could replace the three 2TB drives and then the storage would POP to 3TB per drive and increase your storage. This is what I'd do myself. What I'd suggest is you figure out what storage capacity you desire and redundancy level. Once the system is built, play with the configuration, wipe it out and create something different. Eventually you will find something you can live with.

2. I currently have a LSI 9211-8i card flashed to IT mode but it on a older firmware p16, do I need to flash to newest p20 firmware and if so how do I go about doing this? Any guide to accomplish this would be great.
You should reflash to P20 if you are using the current version of FreeNAS. I can't point to the instructions this second but doa google search, you will find it.

3. How do I setup FreeNAS so I can use my 10Gbe cards on both the FreeNAS and computer (using fiber cables to connect them) so I can transfer large files across?
I wish I could answer that because I'm sure you want to run both the Ethernet and the fiber at the same time. Since I have no practical experience I don't feel comfortable answering it because I could be lying to you. But I don't think it's difficult at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.