X10SRH-CLN4F, Quad GbE LAN, really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALFA

Explorer
Apparently supermicro has recently released some new toys that make use of the newest technologies (DDR4/Haswell-EP) but this its what got me:

is the new Intel® i350-AM4 Quad Port Gigabit (Still not a 10GbE, but for the price is nice), that is just insane, really 4 NICS?. there is a way to do a Load balancing with it? for example where the third NIC picks up excessive traffic from the second, and the second over the first or is just could be used to connect to multiple networks on different subnets?

plus you got 8x SAS3 (12Gbps) from the integrated LSI 3008.

what do you think about this guys.

kind regards

Edit. sorry forgot the link [ X10SRH-CLN4F ]

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes, the load balancing is part of LACP. It's discussed in the manual. It's really only useful for many simultaneous connections. For home users... it's worthless (aside from redundancy from a failed network cable and such). :(

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yes, the load balancing is part of LACP. It's discussed in the manual. It's really only useful for many simultaneous connections. For home users... it's worthless (aside from redundancy from a failed network cable and such). :(
That depends on what you are doing from home. :)

Brosif_My_Nif

Explorer
ddr4 and ddr4 ecc is scary expensive, but a nice colution

Actually, it's not crazy expensive. I just picked up (x4) Samsung ECC Registered DIMM's HERE. I was going to build a new server on 2011, but decided to go 2011 v3, and it wasn't much more expensive.

SirMaster

Patron
Well both Linux and Windows have multipath TCP implementations now where you can get the combined bandwidth from multiple NICs on a single file transfer.

I use it at home to get faster file transfers at 2 Gbit between my servers.

Brosif_My_Nif

Explorer
Apparently supermicro has recently released some new toys that make use of the newest technologies (DDR4/Haswell-EP) but this its what got me:

is the new Intel® i350-AM4 Quad Port Gigabit (Still not a 10GbE, but for the price is nice), that is just insane, really 4 NICS?. there is a way to do a Load balancing with it? for example where the third NIC picks up excessive traffic from the second, and the second over the first or is just could be used to connect to multiple networks on different subnets?

plus you got 8x SAS3 (12Gbps) from the integrated LSI 3008.

what do you think about this guys.

kind regards

Edit. sorry forgot the link [ X10SRH-CLN4F ]

Just wanted to follow up on this thread and say this motherboard works beautifully! Got it installed earlier this week and I really like it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Just wanted to follow up on this thread and say this motherboard works beautifully! Got it installed earlier this week and I really like it.

No weird driver issues?

DJABE

Contributor
Well both Linux and Windows have multipath TCP implementations now where you can get the combined bandwidth from multiple NICs on a single file transfer.

I use it at home to get faster file transfers at 2 Gbit between my servers.

Smart!

+1

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Except:

1. This isn't linux
2. This isn't windows
3. Multipath is supported on iSCSI only.
4. Multipath is almost mutually exclusive of LACP (which is the topic of this thread).

So it sounds like a great idea, then you realize it's not the knight in shining armor you thought it was. ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm going to make two LACP trunks and run MPIO inside them just to rustle your jimmies now.

And that's why I said "almost mutually exclusive".

DJABE

Contributor
I really don't need LACP, and I don't see the point to round robin stuff in this use case / scenario?!
What we really need is MPIO! Combine multiple LAN interfaces on a TCP level and double the single session bandwidth. This can be achieved with unmanaged switch too (no L2 LACP etc).
What is best - not only MPIO aggregates multiple interfaces but also provides a fail over. If 1/4 links goes down, you run traffic on the rest 3/4 with decreased bandwidth...

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Does the LSI 3008 work? Were you able to flash it to IT mode?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Does the LSI 3008 work? Were you able to flash it to IT mode?

It works for certain values of "works", at the moment. Support for it should stabilize after a while (drivers and firmware).

It doesn't have the same architecture as the SAS2 controllers, but should have a similar IT mode.

Brosif_My_Nif

Explorer
For those with any of these new E5-2600 v3 boards, how have they been running? Any issues with this particular board? What CPU did you end up with?

Not a single hiccup here! Would highly recommend.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
It's been running fine for me. Don't mind the dual CPU spec in my signature. I accidentally ordered it instead of the comparable single cpu.

Brosif_My_Nif

Explorer
Has anyone been using the onboard LSI SAS3008 flashed to IT mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.