BUILD Xeon E3-1245v5 with seagate archives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beernas

Cadet
before buying these parts i wanted to hear your advices. I didnt have any nas before, didnt buy or use any kind of server, also no experience with freebsd. So count me as complete noob.

Xeon E3-1245 v5 3.5 GHz Quad-Core LGA 1151

$311 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1196806-REG/intel_bx80662e31245v5_xeon_e3_1245_v5_3_5.html

Supermicro X11SSL-CF
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C236_C232/X11SSL-CF.cfm
6x SATA3 (6Gbps) via C232
8x SAS3 (12Gbps) via LSI 3008
Up to 64GB Unbuffered ECC UDIMM
DDR4 2133MHz; 4x DIMM slots
Dual GbE LAN with Intel® i210-AT
Integrated IPMI 2.0 and KVM with Dedicated LAN

I couldn't find any seller ;_; but i expect it will be around $300-350 excluding shipping & tax. I feel i am paying a lot for cpu+mobo, especially mobo.

Seagate Archive 8 TB Internal Hdd
$230
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XS423SC/?tag=ozlp-20
or
WD Red 4TB
$135
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EHBERSE/?tag=ozlp-20

RAM ?
it will be 16gb ecc but which model?

Fractal Design Node 804 (10 bay)
$140
(from a local seller)
actually i wanted to buy something like NORCO RPC-4224 or Rosewill RSV-L4500 (15 bay no hotswap) but they werent available for me. Supermicro cases are too expensive for me. then i looked big tower cases from this link below, but yet again, none of the big cases were available in my country. I actually very liked Nanoxia NXDS6Bb and Lian-Li PC-A76WX even though they are expensive. Node 804 has only 10 bay which very limits me, i would use two raidz2 with 6 drives in future if it were bigger. I will change this case later.
https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/case/#J=9,20&X=0,40092&sort=d4&page=1

Seasonic X-850(SS-850KM3 Active PFC F3) 850W 80 Plus Gold
$135
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ETEFTK/?tag=ozlp-20
It has only 8 sata power outputs. How can i power more than 8 drives?

Powercom RPT 2000Va (1200 watt) Line-interactive Ups
$120
(from a local seller)
simulated sinus wave
the older powercom models seems supported according to the this list:
http://www.networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html
_____

I didn't want avoton c2750 because i may need more horse power. This will be more than a NAS for me. I planned to use it for:
backup & archiving of personal files, musics, films etc.
subreddit archiver
imageboard archiver (like https://8archive.moe/ for 8chan)
youtube channel archiver (I have to find/write a script that uses youtube-dl download all videos in preferred formats automatically)
low speed seedbox using rtorrent (my upload speed really sucks but i want to seed everything anyways)
local webserver tests
plex etc.

I dont need high file transfer speeds. My only concern is keeping costs low while having decent data protection.

Since i cant find a good case that holds many hdd's in my country, i dont want to waste slots with 3tb-4tb drives. so i want go with seagate archive 8tb drives but i have many doubts. Probably i will write only once but read constantly while uploading torrents. Are these drives ok with that kind of load? They dont have to be fast, but they will be working 7/24. Another problem is that i cant buy 6 drives at once for raidz2 if i choose 8tb's. If i buy 2 drives for mirror, and buy 4 more later, can i convert them to 6 drives in raidz2?

tvsjr

Guru
Lose the archive drives. There are 6TB versions of the WD Red if you want to make that upgrade. There's a whole thread on SMR/shingled technology on here, and it's not reliable for NAS duty cycles.
Definitely downsize the power supply. Upgrade to a platinum model if you want.
Since you're considering multiple jails, RAM is your friend. You can go to 64GB with that MB/CPU combination... consider two 16GB ECC sticks (32GB total) for now, leaving you room to upgrade. Buy memory that's on the hardware compatibility list for that motherboard on Supermicro's site.
That UPS is unknown to me... either ensure it's compliant with NUT, or find another model that is.

gpsguy

No, you'd have to backup your data, blow away the pool, build a new pool with 6 drives, and restore the old data.

As tvsjr said, I'd look at the 6TB drives. Buy them from a reputable vendor - don't go the ebay route. We just had a user buy two on ebay, only to find out they weren't meant for resale and didn't have a warranty.

If i buy 2 drives for mirror, and buy 4 more later, can i convert them to 6 drives in raidz2?

Arwen

MVP
As for the Seagate 8TB Archive, (aka SMR, Shingled Magnetic Recording), in my opinion, they
would not be a good choice for Mirroring or RAID-Zx. Write performance would be too irregular.
Even reads to what ZFS thinks are continuous blocks could be scattered all over the Archive disk,
(due to re-shingling freeing up space). Thus, slowing things down for reads.

Someone used a bunch of these in a FreeNAS, which over came some of the speed issues. But,
you are not buying >6 x 8TB Archive disks...

As for tvsjr's comment about these SMRs not being reliable for NAS duty cycles, their is some
doubt in the community regarding it's specifications. And one person had a hard time using them
in a RAID environment, (but not FreeNAS as I recall).

Last, I am one of the owners of a Seagate 8TB Archive / SMR with my FreeNAS. Except I use it
exactly as advertised, archival purposes. Meaning, I have about 7TB usable, (1.3TB used at present),
in my FreeNAS and using this one 8TB disk allows me to make full backups for off-site. Meaning
cold, archive backups.

beernas

Cadet
Why the 850W PSU?
When i fully populate the case it will be necessary i guess. I might choose 750w but i dont think there will be a lot of difference in power efficiency. I prefer to be in safer side. Am i thinking wrong?

consider two 16GB ECC sticks (32GB total) for now, leaving you room to upgrade.
I will definitely use 16GB ECC sticks but unfortunately cant start with 2x16GB since i already overstretched my budget.
Buy memory that's on the hardware compatibility list for that motherboard on Supermicro's site.
There is only one memory in compatibility list for that motherboard unfortunately. I think thats because the motherboard is new.

Buy them from a reputable vendor - don't go the ebay route.
I will buy from amazon or a local seller, probably from amazon because it's really hard to see good deals for these things in my country.

Lose the archive drives. There are 6TB versions of the WD Red if you want to make that upgrade.
Last, I am one of the owners of a Seagate 8TB Archive / SMR with my FreeNAS. Except I use it
exactly as advertised, archival purposes
My main reason for building a freenas system is archiving stuff, so i wont be moving/rewriting files again and again. Once my drives are full they will just work for reading the data. It is not intented Nas usage. For this reason I thought archive drives can be OK, but as i told before i'm completely noob. I dont know how zfs and smr drives works.

I think it is best to mix nas drives and archive drives for my situation.
I may use Nas drives for things requires lots of rewrites, constantly access to the hdd. For example "imageboard archiver program" will make drives busy all the time. Or lets say music files, i dont ever erase them but i always listen something (constantly reading files).
I may download videos/photos to archive drives. The data would be written slowly over time until it's full and from then i would only be reading the data. I dont erase this type stuff and i access them very rarely. No need for high transfer speed.

So is it OK to use them like that?
6x5TB (raidz2) WD Red
2x8TB (mirror) Seagate Archive OR 6x8TB (raidz2) (if i get a larger case)

Btw, do you think 64GB RAM would be fine if i go over 64TB? Should i consider E5-1620 instead of E3-1245v5 to build a more expandable server?

Status
Not open for further replies.