BUILD Build critique please

Status
Not open for further replies.

smccloud

Dabbler
So,
I am planning a new server build as I want more expandability than I have now (N40L) and my HDDs are starting to go bad. Also due to Bing Rewards I have a little more money to put towards it. My current hardware list is as follows.
I realize the Xeon is probably overkill, but I am considering doing ESXi with FreeNAS as a guest (not 100% sure yet). At a minimum, I will be running FreeNAS with the following plugins as well as a Jail w/ PlexConnect.
  • Plex
  • btsync
  • Transmission
  • CrashPlan
  • Jail w/ PlexConnect

Last edited:

Dennis K.

Explorer
  • Your case only fits mITX mainboards but the Supermicro is µATX (too big).
  • There are reports in this forum regarding an incompatibility between Supermicro X10 and Kingston ram. Filling only 2 slots may run fine, but there are definitely problems when using all 4 slots. Just search for the topic. Or you just use ram listed as recommended by Supermicro.

sjieke

Contributor
When I was looking for a case to upgrade my NAS I also considered the Silverstone DS380, mainly for the hot swap bays. But the one that won for was the fractal design define R4. It fits ATX, microATX ans MiniITX boards, is quiet, has lots of fan options and a fan controller build in. The drives are also in nice and easy trays with serial numbers readable :)

smccloud

Dabbler
When I was looking for a case to upgrade my NAS I also considered the Silverstone DS380, mainly for the hot swap bays. But the one that won for was the fractal design define R4. It fits ATX, microATX ans MiniITX boards, is quiet, has lots of fan options and a fan controller build in. The drives are also in nice and easy trays with serial numbers readable :)

So you're suggesting a R4 w/ a hot swap bay in the 5.25" bays? Like the following list

Last edited:

sjieke

Contributor
No, I'm suggesting a R4 as is, nothing in the 5.25'' bays.
I was just mentioning that the hot swap feature of the DS380 is very nice, but the R4 has also nice hdd trays. Although on the R4 you need to open the case to access them.

Dennis K.

Explorer
I'd say the Define R4 only makes sense if you don't need hot swap bays. That said, I too use a case from Fractal Design, the Define Mini.

smccloud

Dabbler
No, I'm suggesting a R4 as is, nothing in the 5.25'' bays.
I was just mentioning that the hot swap feature of the DS380 is very nice, but the R4 has also nice hdd trays. Although on the R4 you need to open the case to access them.
And worry about hot swap bays or something in the 5.25" bays when/if I need them?

sjieke

Contributor
I'd say the Define R4 only makes sense if you don't need hot swap bays. That said, I too use a case from Fractal Design, the Define Mini.
Indeed no hot swap. The define mini is indeed a nice case, but I was looking for a case which could hold 8 drives and was easy accessible.

smccloud

Dabbler
Indeed no hot swap. The define mini is indeed a nice case, but I was looking for a case which could hold 8 drives and was easy accessible.

Now to just wait for my Bing Rewards to start paying off (I love the bot I found and having my own domain to make logins).

fx24

Dabbler
So you're suggesting a R4 w/ a hot swap bay in the 5.25" bays? Like the following list

I also have the Define R4. To store 3 more HDDs, you should take a look at these:

View: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KMH79U/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1PWEBI7EJH4I1&coliid=I3GO8K6OCNRKLN

View: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B5ITYZ8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1PWEBI7EJH4I1&coliid=IIO1ITRFEO1VK

They have higher satisfaction ratings. It sounds like the build quality is better. If you order one, I would suggest to monitor temps while under load to see if you can keep the HDDs under 40c. I think it would be worth it to also a replace the fan with a high quality fan such as Noctua.

Status
Not open for further replies.