X10SLM-F and no LAN activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangopango

Contributor
I can't get LAN to work, there's no blink and it's the latest BIOS version (3.0+). Anyone with a similar board who could tell me if I need to do something to get it to work? I can't find any LAN options in the BIOS..

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Did you already try to "Restore Optimized Defaults" in the Save & Exit page of the BIOS setup? This should rule out any quirky BIOS settings.

If this doesn't help: You do not happen to have a spare PCIe Ethernet card at your hands, preferably a simple Intel based one providing GBit Ethernet?

rangopango

Contributor
It was the first thing I did, I don't have any spare PCIe cards for more LAN ports :/

Should I try and install FreeNAS as BIOS instead of UEFI?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Should I try and install FreeNAS as BIOS instead of UEFI?

I don't think that this would make a difference. Try it out and let us know the outcome.

Edit: Did you buy this board second-hand? Are you able to return it?

rangopango

Contributor
Nothing happened, same "error" as in, no LAN activity at all. I can't even install Debian or Windows 10 because it hangs up after 2 seconds when it boots into the installer. I also have to wait 2-3 minutes and press F11 or DEL over a hundred times to get somewhere every time I reboot the system. This is ridiculous.

And I have no idea why I'm seeing so many options in the boot menu, I've either bought a broken motherboard or this is just a thing for all Supermicro products. I've quite literally disabled everything except for "USB Hard disk" and "Hard disk" in the boot menu, yet, I'm seeing all of these options every time.
4677c58970.jpg

Edit: Did you buy this board second-hand? Are you able to return it?
Second-hand. Not sure, I can just chargeback because there was no mention of dead LAN ports in the description, but I don't think it is dead... I think it's just Supermicro itself being bad.

Last edited:

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Second-hand. Not sure, I can just chargeback because there was no mention of dead LAN ports in the description, but I don't think it is dead... I think it's just Supermicro itself being bad.

??? Most of us here (including me) are using Supermicro boards and the Hardware Recommendations Guide is full of references to those boards.

If your PSU is able to fire up the board including CPU and RAM I don't see why it should not be strong enough for the onboard NICs.

You are using a regular Ethernet connector of your board and not the dedicated IPMI one right now, correct?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
What about these? Are they supposed to be in this position?

Looks good to me. See also the Jumper Settings section of your manual.

rangopango

Contributor
I did, LAN should be enabled on port A and B because they're on 1 and 2 pins. But for some reason, there's no LAN activity.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
I did, LAN should be enabled on port A and B because they're on 1 and 2 pins. But for some reason, there's no LAN activity.

Assuming that you are using a known-good network cable and a known-good port of your switch I tend to say that your board is toast (or at least the networking part). Maybe another forum member has further suggestions.

artlessknave

Wizard
no lan options at all in the BIOS is strange. could you have gotten a board with a proprietary BIOS of some kind? (I can't image why network would be removed though)
the extra boot options are just because you have UEFI enabled

rangopango

Contributor
I managed to get it working, I think. The jumpers was set to "disabled" so I enabled it, and I got a classless private IP address. I'll try another switch next week because my current switch because my current switch ran out of available ports. I still can't find anything about LAN options in the BIOS, or maybe I'm blind. Could someone provide me with a screenshot or maybe video to where it is located in the BIOS?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
I still can't find anything about LAN options in the BIOS, or maybe I'm blind.

It's rather easy to identify all occurrences of "LAN" in the BIOS chapter of the motherboard manual (in PDF format).

Status
Not open for further replies.