Supermicro A2SDI-8C-HLN4F-O: is the onboard NIC dead?

saurav

Contributor
Greetings!

After having used the SM board for 1-year without ever having to mess with anything, I found last evening that FreeNAS is offiline. On further investigation, I noticed that no activity is detected on any of the LAN ethernet ports. Only one port has the Activity LED on, but it's not plugged in, and is just as dead as the other ports even when plugged in. None of the LEDs on any of the other ports turn on. Please see the attached pic.

I have verified that the cable is good, and is connected to a functioning ethernet port on the other side.

IPMI is working, though. Which let me find out that

1. The "Link status" field in BIOS stays disconnected for all ports, plugged in or not
2. The "Blink LED for 15 seconds" functionality is not working. I don't know if it ever worked. Never tried.

So is the NIC dead, and should I be looking for a replacement? Or is there some last ditch thing to try? I checked the manual, but didn't find anything.

Thanks,
Saurav.

Attachments

• P_20200320_105546.jpg
    P_20200320_105546.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 252

JohnK

Patron
Greetings!

After having used the SM board for 1-year without ever having to mess with anything, I found last evening that FreeNAS is offiline. On further investigation, I noticed that no activity is detected on any of the LAN ethernet ports. Only one port has the Activity LED on, but it's not plugged in, and is just as dead as the other ports even when plugged in. None of the LEDs on any of the other ports turn on. Please see the attached pic.

I have verified that the cable is good, and is connected to a functioning ethernet port on the other side.

IPMI is working, though. Which let me find out that

1. The "Link status" field in BIOS stays disconnected for all ports, plugged in or not
2. The "Blink LED for 15 seconds" functionality is not working. I don't know if it ever worked. Never tried.

So is the NIC dead, and should I be looking for a replacement? Or is there some last ditch thing to try? I checked the manual, but didn't find anything.

Thanks,
Saurav.
I seem to have the same problem. Did you ever find the solution?

I've seen on-board NICs lockup before.

In my case, the solution was to shutdown, unplug power, press the power button to discharge any residual standby power, plug in power and reboot.