Supermicro A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F (Denverton: Atom C3758 w/ Gigabit)

PrincePaul

Patron
Why don't you just unscrew the fan itself from the top and replace that instead of the whole heatsink? [puzzled look]

Have a look in the pic of my post - the screws are not accessible form the top. They are screwed into a bracket from the bottom.

And I´m still waiting for RAM... so my system is still not up and running :D Thats basically the last part to the build.

averyfreeman

Contributor
Have a look in the pic of my post - the screws are not accessible form the top. They are screwed into a bracket from the bottom.

And I´m still waiting for RAM... so my system is still not up and running :D Thats basically the last part to the build.
Oh Jeesh! That's a long time! Didn't you get the motherboard months ago?? Sorry to hear that.

I can't really tell from the photos that the fan is screwed in from the bottom, but ... that's a bummer ... kind of screws you, as well... (sad trumpet)

Did you ever get the heatsink off? I was kind of thinking about getting one of these, too, but after reading this I might go for the one without the fan and just zip-tie one on top if it's necessary...

Eager to hear what you think about it when you get the memory ... review!! Review!!

PrincePaul

Patron
Yeah next time I would get the one without a fan... probably easier. Didn`t expect that to me a problem but...

diskdiddler

Wizard
Ive been waiting to see more reviews if these from people online, but they sure hsve been slow to produce results.

Ive also been waiting for the amd snowy owl (3000) products and reviews, as it should be a option, but even less info on those.

averyfreeman

Contributor
I've been waiting to see more reviews if these from people online, but they sure hsve been slow to produce results.

I've also been waiting for the amd snowy owl (3000) products and reviews, as it should be a option, but even less info on those.

Oh yeah, definitely - AMD has been finally putting out some good stuff. I wonder if they got their backdoors fixed on Ryzen 2...

diskdiddler

Wizard
I got email confirmation from Tyan and super micro that they won't be doing 3000 series AMD systems. Frustrating.

So it's denverton or xeon D for me.

averyfreeman

Contributor
I got email confirmation from Tyan and super micro that they won't be doing 3000 series AMD systems. Frustrating.

So it's denverton or xeon D for me.
Oh, that's interesting - I wonder why ...

Who WILL be doing AMD 3000 series boards, then?

diskdiddler

Wizard
Since SuperMicro said no? I suspect, no one to be honest.

Very, very disappointing.

averyfreeman

Contributor
Since SuperMicro said no? I suspect, no one to be honest.

Very, very disappointing.

I think I saw one manufacturer, lemme google...

https://www.techpowerup.com/241759/...evices-with-epyc-3000-and-ryzen-embedded-cpus

This is not the one I was thinking of, I think there's at least one other one I've seen. But it'll be coming from someone, hopefully it's not only obscure, expensive industrial computer makers.

If you see anything that looks promising, please let us know!

Edit: Tracked down the one embedded epyc 3000 computer they have on their website so far: http://www.ibase.com.tw/english/ProductDetail/NetworkAppliance/FWA8800

Some kind of network device (?)

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
Well, I'm now employed, I'm heading to the USA and I need to decide, should I upgrade my NAS soon.

How are people with this 8 Core model? Could I *very comfortably* run a docker VM, 6 jails on it and have CPU room to move? Possibly with 5 docker instances too.
I am even considering running (low priority) another VM or too.

Thoughts? Looks like the board is around $580 US shipped, with taxes.

diskdiddler

Wizard

diskdiddler

Wizard
There it is:
photo-2018-02-13-13-2qissx.jpg

Still waiting on other parts. The case should come tomorrow, than its just RAM, OS Drive.

I'm finally in the market for a new machine as well!
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ifferentiating-supermicro-board-to-use.70412/

Does anyone know if the bulk purchased boards come with the MiniSAS cables or even the rear I/O panel cover?
Found this board for only $450 US.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=296-0002-002Y5&ignorebbr=1

pro lamer

Guru
Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
I've decided to order them in case, it's only $15

I don't suppose anyone here is really clued up on exactly the right memory?

DozerD42

Cadet
Might be resurrecting a zombie thread, but I have an A2SDi-H-TF board that I would like to use for Plex. I didn't plan out the fact that the C3758 Atom SoC does not have Quick Sync, and the onboard PCiE slot is x4 only.

I am considering a Tesla P4, but that is a x16 card. I am not sure how that would work. I will need to get a one slot size add in card to fit in my case.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

DozerD42

Cadet
For those interested, it looks like the PCIE 3.0 x4 slot should provide 4GB/s if fully utilized. This seems like enough throughput for 4K video streaming.

The question I have is whether the Tesla P4 can provide the approximately 32Gbps required for 4K video streaming with H264 encoding limited to the x4 available lanes on the A2SDi mobo.

I haven't tested it, so I don't know, and I won't comment on whether that would work.