Supermicro A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F (Denverton: Atom C3758 w/ Gigabit)

diskdiddler

Wizard
You don't happen to run Plex on it, do you?

Last edited by a moderator:

jbtbnl

Cadet
I do run Plex, but installed it in a jail myself because the plugin is not up to date.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Ok lovely, how's the usage with it? I'm probably asking too much but you don't happen to transcode any 4k content do you?

I'm thinking of the 8 core version of this board and I'd love to do 4 or 5 jail's, 2 weak low priority vms. Maybe a few docker AND Plex (only one user at a time to be fair)

I don't even need 4k, yet, but I'll be damned if I consider buying stuff not future proof.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Which model are you getting?

PrincePaul

Patron
A2SDI-8C+-HLN4F-O

Should be here tomorrow or monday ;)
Still have to wait for the RAM and OS drive, but can`t wait for my new NAS project to start.

And get rid of the stuff in my signature. But I`ve to say it served me well for the past 6 years (with no ECC RAM) - knock on wood.

diskdiddler

Wizard
You a Plex guy?
I hope it goes well, it looks like really nice hardware, I just hope it lasts over 6 years,.... With room to move for FN12, lots of Docker instances, VMS, jail's, transcoding.

PrincePaul

Patron
Not yet, because my current rig is running 8.3, so only minidlna ;)

But I`ll use it, already have the plexpass and also want to try transcoding etc.
Plan is backup storage, owncloud, plex, and maybe vm down the road.
Hope it last 10 years, I mean the current NAS lasted 6 and was just normal consumer hardware...

Plex and owncloud will run in a iocage, so I guess thats lighter on resources than using a vm/docker for these two.

Edit: Bord is coming Tuesday with fedex.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Surely you'll upgrade to 11.1? I can't believe anyone is still using 8!?

PrincePaul

Patron
Yeah sure. I was hoping that the new ui and iocage a fully functioning and are moved to a main interface instead of a second option before I start. But seems that this will be happening in 11.3 in a couple of month. So probably start with 11.1 U2.

The old system is still on 8 because I can`t upgrade without redoing the whole jail setup. It`s so highly customized that I left it as is. It`s running perfectly fine.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I was scared of switching due to my jails but they actually did work under 11 and they were made under 9.2 / 9.3 if I recall

PrincePaul

Patron
There it is:
photo-2018-02-13-13-2qissx.jpg

Still waiting on other parts. The case should come tomorrow, than its just RAM, OS Drive.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Can I get a closer look at those SATA expansion cables - they do come with the ones you need for all 12 disks right?

PrincePaul

Patron
Yes - it comes with 4 normal sata cables (without clips) and two mini sas to sata cables which have 4 sata connectors each.

But btw does anyone know for what this other connector is (P4)? Is it for a sata backplane?
photo-2018-02-15-13-3wgsp2.jpg

loch_nas

Explorer
I have thought about that myself. My guess is that it's for the HDD activity LED. But I'm not sure.

diskdiddler

Wizard
How did the build go, are you up and running?

PrincePaul

Patron
Not yet - still waiting for some other parts.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Patience is a virtue, keep us in the loop :)

PrincePaul

Patron
Yeah I will. Today I just modified the case to fit more HDD cages. After a bit of bending and drilling I`m now able to install 6 drives (factory are 2):
photo-2018-02-25-15-54ssqt.jpg

If necessary I could add another one on top together with a third fan in the front.

In a case with 205x383x464 mm.

johnp4

Dabbler
I ended up going with the really similar A2SDi-H-TF. Pretty much the same, but with 2 integrated 10GBaseT. I haven't got an opportunity to test the 10G, because my networking equipment is still all gigabit, though. Point of fact, my networking setup is mostly mesh wireless.

PrincePaul, can you tell me how the fan is physically secured to the heatsink? Mine did not come with a fan at all. I'm running it passive, and while temps seem fine, I know that it's not really designed for that. Thinking about getting a little noctua fan.