X10SL7-F IPMI View "Power Down" does restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Can't really go wrong with Seasonic. If Seasonic doesn't solve it, back goes the board.

xnaron

Explorer
Can't really go wrong with Seasonic. If Seasonic doesn't solve it, back goes the board.

Yes I feel the same way. Thanks for your help.

On a positive note... I was able to test all of the cables and backplanes in my RPC-4220 Norco chasis. Everything works and this is a relief. The only problem I had with the case was one of the fans came with a nasty loud bearing.

xnaron

Explorer
I just noticed something... There is a Power LED on the motherboard. The manual states it has 3 colors.

Green = System Power on (Power Normal)
Yellow = Standby Power Active (System Off)
Red = System Power has a problem (Power Failure)

Now mine turns green when it is ON. However when it is off it is Red and not Yellow. According to the descriptions above it sounds like it should be Yellow when the power is off. This may be the problem with my board in that it always thinks the power has failed.

Anyhow I was hoping that you guys could check the LED on your boards when it is turned off to see if it is yellow or red. I have attached a picture with the location.

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20141219_193006.jpg
    IMG_20141219_193006.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

Theodoros

Dabbler
I just noticed something... There is a Power LED on the motherboard. The manual states it has 3 colors.

Green = System Power on (Power Normal)
Yellow = Standby Power Active (System Off)
Red = System Power has a problem (Power Failure)

Now mine turns green when it is ON. However when it is off it is Red and not Yellow. According to the descriptions above it sounds like it should be Yellow when the power is off. This may be the problem with my board in that it always thinks the power has failed.

Anyhow I was hoping that you guys could check the LED on your boards when it is turned off to see if it is yellow or red. I have attached a picture with the location.

thanks

On my board:

Machine OFF:
  • LE3: Green
  • LE5: Green (blinking)
  • LE6: Red
  • LEDS2: OFF
Machine ON:
  • LE3: Green
  • LE5: Green (blinking)
  • LE6: Green
  • LEDS2: Green (blinking)

Theodoros

Dabbler
Thanks. I guess red is normal then when it is off.

Have you tried troubleshooting with everything disconnected. And i mean everything.

(I assume that you haven't got any data on you FreeNAS machine, otherwise don't do any of the stuff below)

Disconnect all the SATA data cables from the motherboard.
Disconnect all the SATA power cables from the PSU (...not from the drives), expect the motherboard cables.
Disconnect all other power cables (for extra fans etc.)
Disconnect all the case button/led/reset cables, expect power up.
Disconnect all network cables, expect for the dedicated IPMI port.
Remove (if any) USB drives/sticks.

So you eventually end up with 2 cables coming out of the PSU (AND NOTHING ELSE) connected to the M/B, and on the motherboard
you've got only the CPU fan cable connected.

Then try to boot up and make tests through IPMI.

The idea here is to test only the motherboard and the PSU and nothing else. Maybe you've got a bad power/SATA/Fan cable that
is causing the problem.

xnaron

Explorer
Have you tried troubleshooting with everything disconnected. And i mean everything.

(I assume that you haven't got any data on you FreeNAS machine, otherwise don't do any of the stuff below)

Disconnect all the SATA data cables from the motherboard.
Disconnect all the SATA power cables from the PSU (...not from the drives), expect the motherboard cables.
Disconnect all other power cables (for extra fans etc.)
Disconnect all the case button/led/reset cables, expect power up.
Disconnect all network cables, expect for the dedicated IPMI port.
Remove (if any) USB drives/sticks.

So you eventually end up with 2 cables coming out of the PSU (AND NOTHING ELSE) connected to the M/B, and on the motherboard
you've got only the CPU fan cable connected.

Then try to boot up and make tests through IPMI.

The idea here is to test only the motherboard and the PSU and nothing else. Maybe you've got a bad power/SATA/Fan cable that
is causing the problem.

Thanks. Yes I have tried that. However the silverstone power supply responds better than the other 2 I tried. Which makes me think it is a signalling issue. From what I have researched it is common for supermicro boards to be really picky with power supplies. I am hoping the seasonic will be the cure. It should be here on Monday hopefully.

xnaron

Explorer
If this has any value to you, I also have a Seasonic power supply and works just fine.

As for the firmware for your LSI 2308 you can get it here: ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/

The IT folder is for flashing the card with the "Initiator Target" firmware (you already did that)
The IR folder is for flashing the card with the "Integrated RAID" firmware" (this is what you need, if you want to ship it back)

One thing I did notice is that this is a P19 version and freenas complains it wants the version 16 firmware. I Don't see the P16 version available on the ftp site. Are you guys using 19 or 16 with the x10sl7-f? Maybe there is no version 16 for the board? I'll be putting in an m1015 soon and will make sure I flash that to P16.

mjws00

Guru
Run p16. Here are the files. Extract the zip to a usb. Boot to UEFI shell. Mount the USB. Run UEFI\SMC2308T.NSH

It will do the whole thing for ya. Takes a couple minutes.

Attachments

• PH16.0.1-IT.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 284

xnaron

Explorer
Run p16. Here are the files. Extract the zip to a usb. Boot to UEFI shell. Mount the USB. Run UEFI\SMC2308T.NSH

It will do the whole thing for ya. Takes a couple minutes.

Thanks for the link. I'll follow the same procedure I used to flash to version 19.

xnaron

Explorer
update:

I got the Seasonic Power Supply today and have done some initial testing. I still have an issue but overall it is better. I can turn the power on and off from the bios screen with IPMI reliably. However when I am in an OS like freenas or linux and then get the OS to do a shutdown or order a graceful shutdown from IPMI I am unable to get it to power back on either through IPMI or power switch. They only way I can get it back on is to hold the power button in for >5 seconds let it go and then I can power on with button or IPMI.

I am assuming that those of you that have tested have done a shutdown in freenas and then called for a power up from IPMI without issue? I guess this board is going to go back. :( I was really hoping it would be ok. It is such a pain to send it back. sigh....

mjws00

Guru
Haven't had any quirks outside of the odd java glitch. I've started and shut down dozens of times with pretty much every OS. I tested the graceful shut down from ipmi... but generally use the OS.

I hear ya on RMA's hopefully that does the trick.

xnaron

Explorer
Haven't had any quirks outside of the odd java glitch. I've started and shut down dozens of times with pretty much every OS. I tested the graceful shut down from ipmi... but generally use the OS.

I hear ya on RMA's hopefully that does the trick.

Thanks... RMA in progress...

Theodoros

Dabbler
update:

I got the Seasonic Power Supply today and have done some initial testing. I still have an issue but overall it is better. I can turn the power on and off from the bios screen with IPMI reliably. However when I am in an OS like freenas or linux and then get the OS to do a shutdown or order a graceful shutdown from IPMI I am unable to get it to power back on either through IPMI or power switch. They only way I can get it back on is to hold the power button in for >5 seconds let it go and then I can power on with button or IPMI.

I am assuming that those of you that have tested have done a shutdown in freenas and then called for a power up from IPMI without issue? I guess this board is going to go back. :( I was really hoping it would be ok. It is such a pain to send it back. sigh....

Every power-up/shutdown either from IPMI or FreeNAS or the case, in any combination works as it should. Just send it back and get a new one. There is no point worrying about this board any more.

Since we're talking about PSUs...

The only thing that I can't seem to monitor from the IPMI, is the PSU readings (PMBus, FRU, BBP = N/A)

psu.jpg

From what I've read from another thread in this forum, these readings are probably only available from supermicro PSUs or server-graded PSU's.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Every power-up/shutdown either from IPMI or FreeNAS or the case, in any combination works as it should. Just send it back and get a new one. There is no point worrying about this board any more.

Since we're talking about PSUs...

The only thing that I can't seem to monitor from the IPMI, is the PSU readings (PMBus, FRU, BBP = N/A)

View attachment 5970

From what I've read from another thread in this forum, these readings are probably only available from supermicro PSUs or server-graded PSU's.

Yeah, you need a server PSU for those. Maybe a Supermicro Server PSU. Definitely something the provides data over the bus connector on the upper right (memory?) of the board. Enclosure management kind of stuff.

xnaron

Explorer
I received the new board today and am happy to report it works perfectly with IPMI! Thanks to everyone for their help!

Status
Not open for further replies.