X10SL7-F IPMI View "Power Down" does restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

xnaron

Explorer
I am in the testing phases of my freenas build using the X10SL7-F with LSI flashed to IT mode. One thing I noticed using the "IPMI View" software form Supermicro is that a "Power Down" is doing a power off and then powering up again within a few seconds. It seems to do this when I turn power off while it is posting. I am thinking it should be shutting off the power. Maybe I have a setting wrong in the bios or somewhere else. Does anyone else have this issue or know the solution?

edit: seems like an issue where sometimes I can't use the power up to turn it on. Status shows power on but it is not on.

thanks

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Considering there's a "reset" button next to "Power Down", I'll go ahead and say this is not expected behavior.

To be honest, I can't remember if I ever used that command. Initial testing was with the server on my desk, so it was easier to reach for the power button. I did use the Reset button once or twice and it worked as expected.

Theodoros

Dabbler
Hi,

I have the exact same board. I'm using IPMI View v2.9.32 on a windows machine. I did a "Power Down" from IPMI View on my FreeNAS machine (while in BIOS setup) and it powered down completely.
Maybe you've got a WOL (Wake-On-LAN) setting enabled or something similar.

Last edited:

xnaron

Explorer
It just seems really flakey. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Communication with IPMI is fine in browser or java app. I can power down and sometimes power up. Sometimes I can't power up. Last time I couldn't power up with IPMI I tried the power button and it didn't work either. I needed to turn off the power to the supply to be able to power up. IPMI power up/down/reset should be reliable I would think.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Maybe I'd start by trying to flash the management engine.

In any case, this is something abnormal you should contact Supermicro about. If they give you a list of things to try, save yourself some time and skip to the flashing part.

xnaron

Explorer
Maybe I'd start by trying to flash the management engine.

In any case, this is something abnormal you should contact Supermicro about. If they give you a list of things to try, save yourself some time and skip to the flashing part.

I am running the latest version. Do you mean reflashing the same version again? I can try that.

xnaron

Explorer
Hi,

I have the exact same board. I'm using IPMI View v2.9.32 on a windows machine. I did a "Power Down" from IPMI View on my FreeNAS machine (while in BIOS setup) and it powered down completely.
Maybe you've got a WOL (Wake-On-LAN) setting enabled or something similar.

Out of curiosity which USB port are you using for you freenas flash drive?

xnaron

Explorer
Tried suggestions and many other things. Ticket submitted to supermicro. I tried another power supply and it did the same thing. These are older power supplies. About 6 years old I think. Running out of ideas. I am planning to replace the power supply anyways so I'll get a new one tomorrow. Any recommends for support up to 20 drives?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Tried suggestions and many other things. Ticket submitted to supermicro. I tried another power supply and it did the same thing. These are older power supplies. About 6 years old I think. Running out of ideas. I am planning to replace the power supply anyways so I'll get a new one tomorrow. Any recommends for support up to 20 drives?

For 20 drives, you'll always need adapters and/or backplanes. You should be in 700-750ish Watt territory.

xnaron

Explorer
I'm not sure how quickly supermicro is going to reply to my ticket (if at all). I'm probably better off trying to RMA through newegg (pain). This sucks. I did put in an evga 1000W G2 gold plus PS. It didn't make a difference. I needed it anyways for the 20 disks (norco rpc-4220).

This really smells like a firmware issue to me. It wouldn't get reported if ipmi isn't used by most people for powering on and off. However being this is a server board I would expect that not to be true. sigh...

mjws00

Guru
Don't know what the answer is on your end, but shutdown, reset, restart via ipmi works exactly as expected on my x10sl7. Settings are stock. PSU is Seasonic G-550.

xnaron

Explorer
I've tried corsair, silverstone, and now evga power supply. The silverstone seemed to work better (more of the time).

The support engineer contacted me today. They asked about the power supply and said that it could be an issue of incorrect signals to the power supply. That makes sense from the behavior I have seen with the 3 I tried. However that would mean these boards are extremely fussy then. The EVGA 1000 G2 I am using is hot out of the box. I tried to find a list of supported power supplies but couldn't find anything official. I suspect they will say to use their power supply. I unfortunately can't buy a Seasonic locally. Anyone have any other suggestions on known working power supplies with the SL-7 and tested using IPMI.

Theodoros

Dabbler
....Anyone have any other suggestions on known working power supplies with the SL-7 and tested using IPMI.

If this has any value to you, I also have a Seasonic power supply and works just fine.

As for the firmware for your LSI 2308 you can get it here: ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/

The IT folder is for flashing the card with the "Initiator Target" firmware (you already did that)
The IR folder is for flashing the card with the "Integrated RAID" firmware" (this is what you need, if you want to ship it back)

xnaron

Explorer
If this has any value to you, I also have a Seasonic power supply and works just fine.

As for the firmware for your LSI 2308 you can get it here: ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/

The IT folder is for flashing the card with the "Initiator Target" firmware (you already did that)
The IR folder is for flashing the card with the "Integrated RAID" firmware" (this is what you need)

Thanks that is very helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.