Wrong units on replication bandwidth limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

micro

Cadet
I'm setting up offsite replication on FreeNAS 11.1 and performing initial testing on the same site with a gigabit connection between source & target.

I configured a replication bandwidth limit with a setting of 300 (in theory this is kB/s, which by calculation should equate to 2.4 Mbps, a reasonable use of my DSL link) only to find that even small incremental snapshots were not completing replication in my 6 hour overnight window.

I increased the limit to 300,000 and the replications finished in a reasonable timeframe. This leads me to believe the units in the documentation and the GUI, both on the field label (kB/s) and in the hover help text (kilobytes/second) are incorrect, and they probably should be B/s and bytes/second, respectively. This seems to be backed up by the figures I see in pfsense (Status > Traffic Graph > LAN).

Being new to the community, I thought I'd probe for comments here prior to submitting a bug.

D

dlavigne

Please create a bug report and post the issue number here.

micro

Cadet
On further testing, it appears the unit should be kbps, rather than kB/s or my earlier guess of B/s. The basis for this:

Replication of a new dataset with 3.1 Gb with a limit setting of 300,000 over gigabit ethernet lasted approx. 90s (yes I used a trusty stopwatch, how quaint). So 300,000 kilobits / s * 90 s = 27,000,000 kilobits = 3375000 kB = 3.2 Gb - close enough for me.

Will post a bug shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.