Wrong root & data filesystem chosen

Status
Not open for further replies.

carl0s

Dabbler
Hi.

I had FreeNAS installed on a disk.

Now I want to use it on a flash disk, but every time it boots from USB, it finds the HDD and mounts / and /data fromt the HDD.

Any tips for an easy way to stop it/fix this?

I'm not very familiar with gpart/fdisk on FreeBSD. I tried a bit of gpart list, and then dd'ing over the disk, but it wouldn't let me dd over the mounted disk, and so I tried to umount / and /data, but they were busy. I didn't try the Safe Mode boot yet. My USB installation is not booting anyway so this will be for another day when I get a different USB stick to try.

cheers,
Carl

fracai

Guru
If you have another machine you could connect the HDD there for the dd or reformat. (do you care about the data?)

I would think you should also be able to enter your BIOS and set the boot order there.

carl0s

Dabbler
If you have another machine you could connect the HDD there for the dd or reformat. (do you care about the data?)

I would think you should also be able to enter your BIOS and set the boot order there.

Hi. It's not the boot order. The machine is booting the kernel, (and initrd? I'm a linux person) from USB, and then it is searching for the root filesystem, and deciding to use the HDD.
I do have another PE2900 but I can't bring it down. This is a SAS disk that I can't just plug in my desktop PC.

I am instead just going to try running the disk through the RAID controller's full-initialisation.

cheers.

carl0s

Dabbler
That worked. Thankfully it was only a 72gb disk, and a fast one at that, so didn't take too long for a full initialize.

Status
Not open for further replies.