SOLVED No active partition found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello;

I am attempting a fresh install of freeNAS 9.10.1-U3 from an .iso via a USB to an internal SSD hard drive. The SSD is 8gb (so close to the minimum size). There are also 2 1TB discs that I plan to use for RAID1 in the machine.

USB disc created using rufus and boots without issue. Install completes without issue but when I restart I get the following error:

"Active partition not set"

I have tried with UFEI in LEGACY and AUTO mode in my computer but have no luck with either. I have also tried dropping to a shell after install and typing:

gpart set -a active ada1

and also gpart set - active /dev/ada1

Each time I still get the same error "active partition not set".

I tried:

fdisk -a /dev/ada1

Same result.

Between each install I have used Active KillDisk to erase the SSD and also tried re-downloading and Killdisking the USB i have used for install. Each install has been from a fresh install onto a virgin ssd.

The output of gpart show after the install (if I drop to a shell is):

34 15649133 ada1 GPT (7.5G)
34 1024 1 bios-boot (512k)
1058 6 -free - (3.0k)
1064 15648096 2 freebsd-zfs (7.5G)
15649160 7 -free- (3.5k)

The machine has 16gb of ram and an I7 circa 2013 motherboard so far from "junker" if not cutting edge. I had previously been running nas4free 9.x on the SSD without issue but felt it was time for a change to freenas.

Any help welcome as this is driving my crazy!

Andy

EDIT:
Solved by doing nothing - turned machine off, made coffee rebooted and it started up fine! Who knows!?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.