SOLVED Write cache aside from RAM

sidjpr

Dabbler
Hello guys,

I am new to TrueNAS and as far as my research went, there seems to be no way to install an additional SSD write cache. I know, that the RAM is used for this task, but why not also have the possiblitiy to use way larger and cheaper SSDs for that task once RAM cache is full? Sure, they are not nearly as fast as RAM, but still way faster than spinning rust. Am I missing something?
Btw. I know that ZFS LOG devices are a thing, but as far as I unterstood the matter it is only for synchronus writes and can not be treated like a general write cache.

So is there really no way other than increasing RAM size or adding more HDDs to improve write speeds? I am using 6x8TB HDDs in a 3 vdev á 2 mirror layout (Raid10).

Thank you guys, I really want to wrap my head around this.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Can you describe your workload? It would be interesting to understand where ZFS' way causes you issues.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hello,

You're correct here, ZFS has no provisions for a general "SSD write cache" and only does the short-term caching/logging in RAM (and if synchronous writes, to the ZIL)

Increasing RAM and adjusting the tunables will help absorb "larger bursts" of writes, but the pool vdevs have to be able to commit those larger bursts to disk or else it will end up having to apply a write throttle to say "your pool isn't fast enough, please wait" to incoming data.

Unfortunately you can't simply say "write to these large SSDs first and then spool off asynchronously to disk later" - consider investigating something like bcachefs if this is a critical use-case, but make sure you understand the limitations (data placement isn't quite as guaranteed as in ZFS, removing devices still seems to require manually re-replicating metadata before and after, erasure coding isn't ready yet AFAIK)

As @ChrisRJ asked - describing your workload might be worthwhile to see if it's something inherent to ZFS causing you these issues or if there's a way that it can be adjusted/optimized to fit your needs better.

sidjpr

Dabbler
Thank you guys for your answers. I am building this NAS out of scrap parts since I have literally zero money left, so I have to work with what I've got. The system is intended for helping my company over a hard time and then replace it with proper hardware once its possible again. So please be gentle with me, I am well aware, that the hardware is far from optimal not to say complete crap. I am trying to get the most out of it nonetheless.

CPU: i7 860 (no I did not forget some numbers it is really this old :wink:)
RAM: 16GB non ECC
HDD: 6x 8TB TOSHIBA MG05ACA800E
SATA SSD: 4x 1TB Samsung SSD 870 QVO 1TB
NIC: Asus XG-C100C

It is used by ~5 people working with media files. So lots of reads with files >50 MB. Scrolling through timelines, rendering and compositing stuff. This kind of workload is probably one among the most demanding regarding NAS-Systystem as far as I can tell.

Unfortunately you can't simply say "write to these large SSDs first and then spool off asynchronously to disk later" - consider investigating something like bcachefs if this is a critical use-case, but make sure you understand the limitations (data placement isn't quite as guaranteed as in ZFS, removing devices still seems to require manually re-replicating metadata before and after, erasure coding isn't ready yet AFAIK)

Thank you for the brief overview. I will not do this since my question was more of accademical nature and the downsides you just listet are not worth the effort in my case. I think my write speeds are okay for what I need, but more without hassle would alwas be appreciated.

By the way another rookie question:
Is there a smart way to do versioned backups of the NAS to a Cloudprovider (Dropbox Buissniess Advanced in my case)? I know I can do snapshots on my local NAS, but there seems no way to upload these to a Cloud (other than rsync.net which I dont want to change to). I am specifically looking for the funktionality QNAPs HBS3 has with its Smart Versioning feature --> https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/article/how-works-hbs3-with-smart-versioning-enabled

Additionally: Is there any benefit in packing in the 4 TB SSD read cache? As far as I understood the matter with a 3x 2-way mirror my perfmance should be:
  • Read IOPS: (N * Read IOPS of a single drive)*M
  • Write IOPS: (Write IOPS of a single drive)*M
  • Streaming read speed: (N * Streaming read speed of a single drive)*M
  • Streaming write speed: (Streaming write speed of a single drive)*M
  • Storage space efficiency: 50%
  • Fault tolerance: 1 disk per vdev
with N=2 and M=3 in my case. So if my SSD has slower read speeds than (N * Streaming read speed of a single drive)*M, which would be the case in my scenario I guess, then my read cache would actually be slower than my HDD pool and thus decreasing read performance. Same for IOPS reads, though I am not sure if the IOPS of a SSD is higher than 6 HDDS combined.

Thank you again for your kind answers, you already helped me a lot. Sry if this post blew up a litte.

ChrisRJ

Wizard

sidjpr

Dabbler
Yes I know, sadly I have no choice. I got the NIC running and its seeing 10 GBit.

Here are some results:

CrystalDiskMark default setting:
Default - 3 HDD Mirror + 2 cache + log mirror.png

CrystalDiskMark Realworld setting (32 and 8 GiB):
RealWorld - 3 HDD Mirror + 4 cache 32GB.png
RealWorld - 3 HDD Mirror + 4 cache.png

sidjpr

Dabbler
So does anybody has suggestions to my other questions in post #4?

By the way another rookie question:
Is there a smart way to do versioned backups of the NAS to a Cloudprovider (Dropbox Buissniess Advanced in my case)? I know I can do snapshots on my local NAS, but there seems no way to upload these to a Cloud (other than rsync.net which I dont want to change to). I am specifically looking for the funktionality QNAPs HBS3 has with its Smart Versioning feature --> https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/article/how-works-hbs3-with-smart-versioning-enabled

Additionally: Is there any benefit in packing in the 4 TB SSD read cache? As far as I understood the matter with a 3x 2-way mirror my perfmance should be:

• Read IOPS: (N * Read IOPS of a single drive)*M
  • Write IOPS: (Write IOPS of a single drive)*M
  • Streaming read speed: (N * Streaming read speed of a single drive)*M
  • Streaming write speed: (Streaming write speed of a single drive)*M
  • Storage space efficiency: 50%
  • Fault tolerance: 1 disk per vdev
with N=2 and M=3 in my case. So if my SSD has slower read speeds than (N * Streaming read speed of a single drive)*M, which would be the case in my scenario I guess, then my read cache would actually be slower than my HDD pool and thus decreasing read performance. Same for IOPS reads, though I am not sure if the IOPS of a SSD is higher than 6 HDDS combined.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I am not sure if the IOPS of a SSD is higher than 6 HDDS combined
HDD IOPS usually from 100-300, SSD IOPS from 10'000-500'000+

SSD will always be better for IOPS.

But can you really take advantage of it with only 16GB of RAM if you add it as L2ARC... I suspect not.

Depending on the file structure you have, if it's low numbers of media files which are individually large, then there's a small chance you can see an improvement in reads (at the cost of ARC to map the tables, which may slow you down).

sidjpr

Dabbler
Alright thank you. Maybe I've got something wrong, but wouldn't a SSD read cache always boost performance given the IOPS are as high as you said? Why is this dependend on the amount of RAM aka ARC? When ARC is full, L2ARC will jump in. This process would be same with 16GB or 512GB right?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
L2ARC also needs RAM. Taking the latter away from an already small ARC is overall not helpful. I don't have L2ARC, but the consensus seems to be that the minimum amount of RAM for bringing L2ARC into the game is 64 GB.

sretalla