Won't start up anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
My NAS appliance (a FreeNAS MINI) wasn't responding today. (users couldn't access their network shares)

Server IP addresses are assigned by DHCP. I access by host names.

I tried restarting the NAS, but that didn't help. Connecting a monitor (and keyboard) displays nothing during a reboot.

So, I tried connecting to the admin page, but the entire server wouldn't respond (it was responding yesterday or the day before) (the problem was DNS didn't resolve)

I connected to it via IPMI, and I noticed that it was running hot (93), so I shut it down, and cleaned it out (it had some dust from sitting in the corner).

But it still won't start back up. I can connect to IPMI, and now there isn't a CPU temperature (ASRock Rack is the IPMI UI), but all of the sensor monitors are green on the dashboard.

So right now, I'm not sure what to do next, there's a few logs in the IPMI. There's also Java access to the consoles, but I don't believe there's a secure way of running Java access? (Or is there?)

[Edited: Added information about restarting the NAS, and connecting monitor, thanks joeschmuck!]

Last edited:

garm

Wizard
The IPMI connection should already be secure, no need to worry about Java issues. But if you access IPMI over an insecure network then ya, maybe look into that..

The IPMI connection should already be secure, no need to worry about Java issues. But if you access IPMI over an insecure network then ya, maybe look into that..
Yeah, it should be secure, but my computer won't let me run the java, because it isn't secure.

garm

Wizard
That’s a bit vague, generally “computers” don’t have opinions. Maybe your browser has security protocols preventing certain versions of java, but that is solvable.. google it

joeschmuck

Old Man
Try a different web browser.

Now back to your real problem, the computer will not start. Have you connected a monitor and keyboard to the computer yet? That would be my first course of action vice worrying about IPMI. See what error messages you have, if any. Maybe you boot disk has failed or you power supply has crapped out. This is the best way to see your error messages.

That’s a bit vague, generally “computers” don’t have opinions. Maybe your browser has security protocols preventing certain versions of java, but that is solvable.. google it
That's not very friendly.
Not the browser. It downloads a `jviewer.jnlp` file. Which is treated as an executable once I've got java installed, which when I run, Java (the JRE to be more precise?) says "unable to launch the application", with the details of "Unsigned application requesting unrestricted access to system
The following resource is signed with a weak signature algorithm MD5withRSA and is treated as unsigned: <url to jar>"

Try a different web browser.

Now back to your real problem, the computer will not start. Have you connected a monitor and keyboard to the computer yet? That would be my first course of action vice worrying about IPMI. See what error messages you have, if any. Maybe you boot disk has failed or you power supply has crapped out. This is the best way to see your error messages.
Thanks for those suggestions. I should have included those details in the OP. With Monitor and keyboard plugged in, I get no visual display to the screen.

Redcoat

MVP
Status
Not open for further replies.