Freenas won't boot after reset

Jeff Lamer

Contributor
Hey All,

No Idea what happened or what to do. NAS has been running for years with no major issues.

I cycled power and now have nothing. I can access the IPMI screen on supermicro so at least I have power.

It is saving that power is OFF via IPMI but fails to turn on when i click the icon. Checked all cables and everything looks good.

Remote console screen is blank .

Please help

Jeff

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You might need to let the system fully power off by disconnecting power for a minute to let the power out of the capacitors. I have seen that happen a time or two. If we get lucky, when you plug it back into power, you will be able to start it back up. I have also seen systems need to have connections reseated to get them running again. I had a dual socket server that I thought the main board was bad in because I was down to the point all that was left was the CPUs. I pulled the CPUs, just in case, and put it all back together and it is still running three years later.

Jeff Lamer

Contributor
Hey Chris,
Thanks for quick reply... Tried both with no success.
Bad motherboard?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Bad motherboard?
I would try re-seating everything, all the way down to the CPU in it's socket, before making that call, but if the system will not boot when nothing is connected except the CPU and RAM, then I would suspect the motherboard as the cause.