WOL on HP N54L

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcovnc

Dabbler
Hi, I'm trying to enable WOL on HP N54L. From bios WOL is activated, but freenas (9.3) does not recognise HP N54L networking card as WOL capable, in fact if I type ifconfig i can't see the"magic_packet" parameter. I know that nas4free has a WOL-ready driver for this networking card. Once extracted the if_bge.ko file from the nas4free ISO i have to do this:
  1. Mount the root file system on the FreeNAS box as writeable mount / -rw
  2. Copy if_bge.ko to the FreeNAS box and into the „/boot/kernel” directory
  3. Make the driver load upon boot up, by placing „if_bge_load="YES"” at the bottom of the „/boot/loader.conf” file
  4. Remount „/” as read-only on the FreeNAS box
  5. Reboot the FreeNAS box
How can I copy the if_bge.ko in /boot/kernel in the usb pen (where freenas in installed)?

D

dlavigne

Those instructions won't work on 9.3 due to the use of ZFS and GRUB. If the driver is out of date, you could request that it be updated at bugs.freenas.org. If you make a feature request, post the issue number here.

Harmless Drudge

Dabbler
Found this while searching on N54L in relation to another issue. It can be made to work with driver from NAS4Free. Info is on here somewhere. WOL stopped working for me for a while between two updates but I didn't keep track of which ones. Works fine now with latest 9.10 (FreeNAS-9.10.1-U4 (ec9a7d3))

Status
Not open for further replies.