Windows Previous Versions not working 8.0.1-B4

Status
Not open for further replies.

maemmi

Cadet
Using 8.0.1-B4, I have working snapshots but I am unable to see them as "Previous Version" from Windows Explorer. Not a huge deal since we can just go to the .zfs folder on the share and pull needed files but is there a way to get this to work from Windows? From the README "now exported to CIFS shares and are visible in windows as shadow copies"

Completely different OS but this feature does work fine using Solaris and napp-it and would be nice to have it working in FreeNAS. But maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere so if somebody has this working, please let me know. thanks!

Martin

maemmi

Cadet
It does work. I was doing manual snapshots in my initial testing. Set up automatic snapshots and everything works fine! Guess that the Samba is looking for a specific name format. The only thing is that the previous version name doesn't show up as the name of the folder, it appears as @GMT-date-time No big deal though.

Durkatlon

Patron
I have been playing with this today as well. It appears to work pretty well in 8.01B4. I got the "Previous Versions" tab to populate properly in Windows after I restarted CIFS, having set up the periodic snapshot under ZFS.

My one little problem is that if I try to copy a single file from a Previous Version open in Windows Explorer, it works fine. However, when I try to copy a directory, it gives me the following error dialog:

Code:
Could not find this item

This is no longer located in Y:\@GMT-2011.08.26-20-06.00. Verify the item's location and try again.

I have CIFS set up for Anonymous access and allow guest account. Any ideas on this one?

tconley

Dabbler
i am still not getting the tab to populate and i am now even running rc1. is there some setting i am missing?

Durkatlon

Patron
i am still not getting the tab to populate and i am now even running rc1. is there some setting i am missing?
The only thing I had to do was start snapshots and then restart the CIFS service. Then they just showed. What version of Windows are you running?

AlexP

Cadet
I've the same problem: auto snapshots enabled, using windows 7 SP1 on the client, but the tab "previous version" tells me there are none available.
But I can see them on the zfs snapshots page on freenas.

I'm using AD domains.

Any hints?

mo100

Dabbler
Hi AlexP/tconley,

Did either of you ever sort this out? I can't seem to make Windows populate the previous versions tab either.

galorin

Cadet
I have found the same on 8.0.3, my smb.cof line is

vfs objects = zfsacl recycle shadow_copy2

The previous versions tab appears in explorer on Windows7 and Server 2003, but contains no entries, even though I have several automatic and a few manual snapshots available.

edit: May or may not be relevant. XP SP2 tab for previous versions does not appear, but it does appear on a Server 2003 share with shadow copy enabled.

As an additional puzzler, I can get into .zfs, but another user with permissions no different than mine cannot.

Status
Not open for further replies.