SOLVED Windows Previous Versions "Can't Read" error

Status
Not open for further replies.

hikingpete

Dabbler
I've set up snapshots and cifs on my freenas instance, and I can browse previous versions through the windows interface - and can even open files from a previous version. Unfortunately, when I click the 'restore' button, or drag a previous version to the current folder, I get a 'Can't Read from the source file or disk' error on Windows. I've been twiddling with settings left and right, but the error remains. The file may be opened, but will not be copied or restored...

Has anyone encountered this before? Is the problem on the Windows side or the FreeNAS side? It's Windows 7 Professional x64 I'm using here. I've set 'allow guest' and 'guest only' on the share.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Snapshots are read-only. Just copy it out of the 'previous versions' folder and paste it over the current one. I think this is more desirable behaviour because it renders 'accidental restores' less likely.

hikingpete

Dabbler
The issue here is that doesn't work. Anything I try other than actually opening the file results in a /read/ error.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Ah, perhaps it's related to how you've configured permissions I'm not a big fan of guest-only or the "force user" parameter because they don't always interact well with vfs modules (like shadowcopy2 or zfsacl). Try to copy out of the previous versions folder, then look for relevant log entries in /var/log/samba4/log.smbd.

Is this a standalone server or AD member server?

hikingpete

Dabbler
from /var/log/samba4/log.smbd
cannot open 'tank/test@auto-20150903.1200-1w': operation not applicable to datasets of this type
cannot open 'tank/test@auto-20150903.1200-1w': operation not applicable to datasets of this type

This is a standalone server. The dataset is set to the Windows type, and it's set to case insensitive.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
from /var/log/samba4/log.smbd

This is a standalone server. The dataset is set to the Windows type, and it's set to case insensitive.

Change it to case sensitive and try again.

hikingpete

Dabbler
It seems that requires creating an entirely new dataset. It doesn't make a difference though. Same error.

Paolo Denti

Cadet
Same problem here.
This is the samba log (from /var/log/samba4/log.smbd) while copying a previous version file:

cannot open 'pool1/tecnico@auto-20150904.1318-2w': operation not applicable to datasets of this type

Last edited:

Thomymaster

Contributor
Hi

I have the same problem with the latest STABLE build :(

Has anybody already submitted a bug?

jbbender22

Dabbler
I'm showing the same error in my log as well. I was also experiencing this issue on the last release (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201508250051). It's on a new build so it's never actually worked for me. Same situation, standalone server, I can open a previous version but I cannot restore or copy it anywhere.

I do have an idea that may or may not be of any value, but I'll throw it out there anyway. I noticed on my setup the permissions on the main dataset are set to Unix permission type. All the datasets underneath that main one are set to Windows permission type. That's the way it got set up doing the initial configuration with the Wizard. Is yours set up that way? Could that possibly be causing the issue?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I've tryed windows 10 and same error. Brand new snapshots with latest version of FN 9.3.1. CIFS max protocol SMB2. Guest access enabled and forced. guest user created with another name and group.

Are you able to test on a share that does not have guest access forced?

My servers are still at 9.3. I've verified that shadow copies work with Vista, 7, and 10.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Working fine with 9.3.1 and Windows 10. None of that Guest stuff. You wanna access my server, prepare for authentication!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Working fine with 9.3.1 and Windows 10. None of that Guest stuff. You wanna access my server, prepare for authentication!

In the past I noticed that vfs_zfsacl doesn't like the 'force user' parameter. 'Force user' and 'guest only' operate almost identically, which makes me suspect that vfs_shadowcopy2 also doesn't like these parameters. Someone should probably make a bug report and let John Hixson sort it out. :D

J

jpaetzel

The issue is the zfs_space vfs module John wrote to get space reporting of windows shares working properly. For whatever reason it blocks the restore functionality of previous versions from working.

This is being tracked in ticket https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/11385

Status
Not open for further replies.