TrueNAS Shadow Copy works intermittently

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I guessed the push to remove the empties was to remove the overhead and it makes sense, as there's no point in returning it if there is nothing of value in the snapshot.

I've done some more testing and I agree with Scharbag it still doesn't work propetly it's not directly related to ignore empties. It returns more snapshots than 12-RELEASE did but it's still seemingly random which ones it does return. I've got a shares with ignore empties set to both true and false and they both exhibit the same behaviour where there are multiple snaps with USED=0 and it returns some empties but not others. I can't see a pattern to it.

On the other had I think it's returning all the ones with USED > 0 for me.
You should look at ZFS_PROP_WRITTEN property. `zfs list -o name,written -t snap`

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
BTW, once Windows client exceeds maximum number of snapshots it can handle, it actually doesn't display _any_ previous versions. This max is client-dependent.

Scharbag

Guru
anodos had me delete the auxiliary parameters in my SMB shares and restart SAMBA. That helped me. I have no idea what those were there for.

Cheers,

bmh.01

Explorer
You should look at ZFS_PROP_WRITTEN property. `zfs list -o name,written -t snap`
Yep that's what it's doing, everything ties up as expected based off of that.

BTW, once Windows client exceeds maximum number of snapshots it can handle, it actually doesn't display _any_ previous versions. This max is client-dependent.
Some of these shares only have 20-30 snaps so I'd hope I'd not ran into that just yet.

Frikkie

Dabbler
Hello there,
after updating to 12.0-U1 I can confirm that shadow copy, which prior to the update worked intermittently, is now working without a hitch for me.
Absolutely fantastic! Thanks to all the devs working on the updates... greatly appreciated.
I hope everyone else's issues are solved with the next update.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well I just recently updated to 12.0-U1 and shadow copies appears to be broken for me. Worked fine before the update. It shows no previous versions available.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Well I just recently updated to 12.0-U1 and shadow copies appears to be broken for me. Worked fine before the update. It shows no previous versions available.
Yeah, there was a fix for smb2_query_directory that didn't make it into U1 that can break some edge cases of opening previous version of files, and one of the U1 fixes unfortunately caused a regression in case of datasets nested inside an SMB share. These are both fixed in the 12.0-stable branch and should be addressed in 12.0-U1.1. If you are up for testing / verifying they are fixed in your case, send me a PM and I can give you a dev snapshot for testing.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Appreciate it but I'll wait for the next update.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

seanm

Guru
I think modern windows can handle 512 - 1024 snaps (can't remember exact number).

@anodos I wonder if that's what I'm running into... zfs list -o name,written -t snapshot | grep ShareName reports about 1600 snaps. Many have zero for "written" though.

Are there any known bugs with Windows "Previous Versions" in 12.0-U5? Windows isn't showing me any. :(

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
@anodos I wonder if that's what I'm running into... zfs list -o name,written -t snapshot | grep ShareName reports about 1600 snaps. Many have zero for "written" though.

Are there any known bugs with Windows "Previous Versions" in 12.0-U5? Windows isn't showing me any. :(
How many have something written to them. Windows UI will only handle about 500 or so before it quits and says "No previous versions available".

seanm

Guru
How many have something written to them.

About 1300.

Windows UI will only handle about 500 or so before it quits and says "No previous versions available".

Meh. Seems an awfully small limit for 2021. Is there a way to confirm this is indeed my issue? (short of deleting a bunch of snapshots)

Elsewhere in the forum I've read that the presense of various vfs objects can also be an issue?