Windows ACL Add Unix User?

bigjay517

Dabbler
Hello,

I have multiple datasets shared via SMB. I have mounted one dataset(media) root, and a sub-directory of my second dataset (backup) to my Plex jail. My goal is configure my Photos upload location to be set for the sub-directory in the backup dataset since that is was gets replicated and backed up offsite.

I have added the plex user and adapted its UID in the Accounts menu of FreeNAS. I have then added this user to the ACL of both datasets to have full control. I was able to set the permissions recursevly for the media dataset as there are no other users accessing the media. The backup dataset I am unable to set the permissions recursevly, because I do not want to change any of the permissions on the sub-directories. From this configuration(and I believe as expected) Plex is able to write to the media dataset mount point but not the mount point for the sub-directory in backup. I expect I manually need to give the plex user write permission to this sub-directory to allow writes.

I added the plex user with the Windows security menu in explorer. I noticed some differences in what FreeNAS(left) does, and what Windows(Right) does:

1589835426068.png
1589835436134.png

Even after making this change plex is still unable to write to the backup sub-directory. The main difference I see is that for the media dataset the plex user is not part of the FREENAS domain(?), but instead listed a Unix User. Where when I manually added plex it is part of the FREENAS domain. What are the differences between the FREENAS\plex user and the Unix User\plex user? Is there a way I can give write permissions to the Unix User\plex on just the sub-directory of the backup dataset without performing a recursive ACL update from the FreeNAS GUI?

Thanks for any information or tips!

Last edited:
What are the differences between the FREENAS\plex user and the Unix User\plex user?
Your terminology isn't quite right here. I'm assuming that Plex has UID/GID 972. On the left image, the Plex user is part of the ACL; on the right, the Plex group is part of the ACL.

Is there a way I can give write permissions to the Unix User\plex on just the sub-directory of the backup dataset without performing a recursive ACL update from the FreeNAS GUI?
The clues to what you are trying to achieve can be found in this video Advanced Samba (CIFS) permissions on FreeNAS referred to in the FreeNAS User Guide @ 12.5. Windows (SMB) Shares. There is a prequel to this video as well. It may be worth watching that first.

bigjay517

Dabbler
I understand now. I have a combination of problems which I need to resolve. My Plex GID does not match the correct GID of the Plex group in the jail. I also see that I have permissions issues which prevent my Windows system from enumerating the users on FreeNAS. This seems to be quite common. I have a strong lead on the correct places to investigate in order to find a resolution.

Thank you very much!