Can't Get Permissions Working With Rsync

dizydre21

Dabbler
Hello all,

I've been banging my head against the wall for two days trying to understand why my ACLs are preventing me from running an Rsync Pull on TrueNAs to get files from my Synology NAS. This is using SMB shares.

I first just added a group called family and a user called Dakota. My pool looks like this:

Pool1
------ Media (dataset)
-----------Music (dataset)
-----------Videos (dataset)
-----------------Movies (directory created in Windows)
-----------------TV_Shows (directory created in Windows)

After adding the datasets and creating the directories, I clicked on edit permissions for "Media" and added Dakota as the owner and family as the group. I then selected their respective check boxes and gave it a restricted ACL preset. Then I checked the boxes to set recursive and child dataset permissions. I thought this would make me the owner of the dataset. Rysnc runs for about 15 seconds, creates a folder called "@eaDir", and then fails. I get a whole bunch of these for every file in the folder I have set up in the rsync task.

rsync: [generator] failed to set permissions on "/mnt/Pool1/Media/Music/.": Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: [generator] failed to set permissions on "/mnt/Pool1/Media/Music/@eaDir": Operation not permitted (1)

I believe I have the rsyncd.conf file setup correctly in the Synology and I have just a few options selected. I have changed the UID and GID in this file between root and Dakota. The GID will make the rsync fail immediately if anything other than root or 1000 are entered for it. Dakota is also the user in the Synology.

I then destroyed the datasets and rebuilt them, this time leaving the owner and group as root and wheel respectively. I then added a user and group ACL for Dakota (full control) and family (modify). I get the exact same errors.

Then I stripped all ACLs and an rsync ran through just fine. I re-added some rules and again it fails. What am I not understanding here? I have read through as much as I can find and starting to feel pretty stupid here.

dizydre21

Dabbler
I solved this by using the --no-perms argument in the GUI where you set up the rsync task