Will this Processor Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The question would be what you plan to do with it. It does not have AESNI, so encryption will be slow. It's a 2010 processor for an obsolete socket type. A bigger factor might be finding a motherboard for it that will accept a usable amount of RAM, at least 8G.

Wilberton

Cadet
I plan to use it in a home server, so essentially media and backups.
I already have a motherboard that supports 8gb and I plan to put about 6tb of storage in it.
But overall will this run FreeNAS?

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
It will probably run, although performance is not likely to be very good. For media, I don't know. Spending money on that processor, or probably any of that era, seems like a mistake.

gamedude9742

Dabbler
Due to the age or the processor info is a little more difficult to find.

My first question would be is your ram ECC? Because if its not, using it for backups may not be a great idea. How awful would you feel if your system died and when you went to retrieve your backup you discover it had become silently corrupted.

Will it run probably. However you will not be able to do ANY VM's with it and performance will be poor so don't expect to run a bunch of jails. I wouldn't even begin to think about Plex on a socket 775.

In all honesty if you are trying to be that cheap on a system you are only hurting yourself I would not run ANYTHING below a Xeon 5600 series dual cpu with the current version of FreeNAS. And if I was to build a new system I would probably get something that I can throw a pentium (DDR4 compatible) in today to get by and then upgrade to a Xeon later on while also adding ram.

Dice

Wizard
If the point aint clear yet:
Don't attempt it.
Recycling used server gear is fine, but you've just managed to cross the border into the dinosaur era of hardware.
If you need arguments: Power consumption vs performance is a nightmare.

gamedude9742

Dabbler
If you need arguments: Power consumption vs performance is a nightmare.
Thats a great point. I got some dinosaur servers in the past from where I work for a great deal. Well it was great until having 2 of them on 24/7 for a single month raised the electric bill by like 150 bucks..

To Dice's point you would probably be better off spending a few bucks now to get modern fast and much more efficient hardware. Keep in mind what you spend now will pay for itself in the reduced electric bill as well as how safe your data is. Your data is worth whatever YOU want it to be worth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.