Will a Haswell I3-4370 meet this usage scenario?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gmdfunk

Dabbler
Right now my server is running on dual opteron 2431 (6 core) CPU's with 16gb DDR2 ram. I have a pool with 2 8-drive raidz2 array's (16 drives). I am running freenas 9.10

I have been wanting to upgrade to something newer (these CPU's are about 10 years old) and something more power efficient as my current setup at idle costs like $30 a month in power.

The parts I am looking at are as follows

*Supermicro X10SLL-F Motherboard (socket 1150)

*Intel Haswell I3-4370 CPU (passmark 5565)

*8gb and within a short time 16 gb of Crucial ECC DDR3 1600Mhz ram (is on supermicros tested ram list for this motherboard)

I use the server to store computer backups (done in the early morning), and to stream plex to 1-2 devices at any one time. All media is in h.264 MP4 format, and most streaming is done within the home as direct play. 95% of the media is 480P, the remaining stuff is 1080P @ 3-4mbps.

I do have one family member that streams from the server remotely, so a typical use would be up to one 1080P stream being trans-coded. I would like to be able to do 2 1080P transcodes at a time and the rough guideline of 2000 Passmark per 1080P stream says I could do 2 at once.

My question is, will this setup allow me to transcode 2 1080P streams without adversely effecting the routine (mostly idle at that time of day) operation of freenas?

If my usage increases in the future, I could upgrade the ram past 16gb, and I could drop in a Xeon, however My budget doesn't allow for that right now, and I am eager to upgrade as my current server has been giving me some reliability trouble. I am thinking that for my usage a 4 core xeon with hyperthreading is not needed, and this i3 would be acceptable.

Can anyone confirm my thinking, or point out my oversight if I am incorrect?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
My question is, will this setup allow me to transcode 2 1080P streams without adversely effecting the routine (mostly idle at that time of day) operation of freenas?
Your CPU choice should be adequate for your intended usage scenario. I would be more concerned about the amount of RAM you are considering going with. 16 drives (you don't state what size) and running Plex you had better start with 16GB of memory.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why Haswell and not Skylake?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
That thread is over a year old. There were initial usb 3 issues with FreeNAS 9.3 but they were later resolved in 9.10.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I really wish people would look at timestamps before going "oh, this Skylake thing is bad". And read the hardware recommendations guide, which explicitly talks about Skylake.

ccssid

Explorer
skylake works like a champ with 9.10. see my signature

Gmdfunk

Dabbler
In that case, I will go with the X11SSM-F motherboard, 16gb crucial DDR4-2400 ram and an I3 6100 (which is on sale right now) a single 16gb chip is cheaper than 2-8's, then I can later get another 16gb of ram when I have more cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.