am I moderate or light usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackinches

Cadet
i've been reading a lot of the hardware recommendations, but i'm having trouble deciding if i'm light or moderate usage. my use case for this nas would be a plex server, and usually only running 1 stream locally in 1080p. not doing anything in 4k, but it would be cool if i could. would also like to run sonarr and a torrent client. that's pretty much it. looking at 16 or 24tb storage with 16gb ram in a mini itx form factor.

should i go with an 8th gen i3 or am i better off with something like a c2550 or a c2750?

thanks.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

blackinches

Cadet
going with the avoton was mostly a cost consideration. i see the 8 core denverton in the 600 range. i guess the question is, if i go with denverton how many cores will i most likely need based on my usage.

i thought that the nic drivers for the denvertons were sorted out in 11.1. are there other driver issues that i should be aware of?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
going with the avoton was mostly a cost consideration. i see the 8 core denverton in the 600 range. i guess the question is, if i go with denverton how many cores will i most likely need based on my usage.

i thought that the nic drivers for the denvertons were sorted out in 11.1. are there other driver issues that i should be aware of?

The Denverton state of discussion as far as I am aware of:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...de-discussion-thread.46494/page-7#post-428083

Many users would advise not to go the Mini-ITX route right now because of the cost (Denverton is expensive and Xeon-D is also expensive).

blackinches

Cadet
i don't have a lot of room, which is why i wanted to go mini itx, but i may be open to getting an atx system. more importantly i'm trying to gauge how much power i need to just run a nas, plex, sonarr, and torrents off this one machine. i have no plans to run any vm's or other servers on it.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I think a Xeon 1231 would be the sweet spot. It's a great Plex streaming CPU as well as not super over powered.

blackinches

Cadet
any reason not to go with one of the e3 L chips for my use case? i see that the v5, v3 L chips go for a pretty decent price.

Last edited:

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
any reason not to go with one of the e3 L chips for my use case? i see that the v5, v3 L chips go for a pretty decent price.

Unless you can get those L chips really cheap or your planned build is more constrained than it should be there is no reason to buy one of those. This is covered in the Hardware Recommendations Guide (section "Notes on low-TDP CPUs").

Status
Not open for further replies.