Will a Dell R530 with a PERC HBA330 work with ZFS?

dpearcefl

Contributor
Will this combo allow ZFS to talk to the drives directly? Thanks.

Dave

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Based on some quick Googling, it looks like that although the PERC H330 is a rebadged LSI 9300-8i using the SAS3008 chipset, no one has confirmed the ability to reflash the LSI IT mode firmware onto it yet and the stock Dell firmware does not do proper IT mode.

So the immediate answer here is "no" with a more optimistic one being "not yet."

Edit, Three Years Later: Optimism has paid off; you can now reflash the H330 into an HBA330 - once this is done, it's a perfectly fine HBA for ZFS!

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, the SAS3 stuff (as well as newer SAS2 stuff) can use a new software stack that allows it to provide direct-attach disks to the OS with no RAID, even in RAID mode.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Well, the SAS3 stuff (as well as newer SAS2 stuff) can use a new software stack that allows it to provide direct-attach disks to the OS with no RAID, even in RAID mode.

Assuming you mean the mfi driver allowing direct SCSI access to the underlying device via /dev/passN here, right? I thought that was intended only for things like pulling SMART data and controlling things like tape drives to handle eject/load behavior, not as a primary data path.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Assuming you mean the mfi driver allowing direct SCSI access to the underlying device via /dev/passN here, right?
Nope, it's not mfi. There's a new driver that handles everyone's use cases even for controllers in RAID mode. The name eludes me at the moment, but people have had success using it.

Drives are presented as daX devices, which is a very good sign.

Of course, IT mode is a known quantity and is thus preferred.

pbryan

Dabbler
Sorry to necro this thread, but I kept stumbling upon it when Googling for the same answer. To help others, here's how I fixed my issue. I have a PERC H330 Mini. The driver you need is mrsas. By default FreeNAS loads the mfi driver (no SMART, no hot-swap, drives show as "mfisysXXX") and you have to force the mrsas driver (drives show as "daX").

You have to edit 2 files...
Code:
... add the following lines to "/boot/loader.conf"
mrsas_load="YES"
kern.geom.label.gptid.enable="0"
kern.geom.label.disk_ident.enable="0"

... add the following line to "/boot/devices.hints"
hw.mfi.mrsas_enable="1"

Thanks, guys. I apologize if this isn't kosher; I just didn't want another "nvm fixed it" thread.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You should also take into account that after an upgrade those files will be overwritten and who knows what will happen to your pool. Good luck and try not to modify your base install.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

D

dlavigne

Please create a feature request at bugs.freenas.org requesting that FreeNAS automatically load the correct driver for this hardware. Post the issue number here.

Almstsobur

Cadet
The H330 is passthrough, but the HBA 330 is a direct HBA controller and will have no problem with ZFS

ovizii

Patron
Just wanted to add that I am looking at a Dell R530 with a PERC H330 as opposed to HBA330 and I found this thread where they mention:
The Dell PERC H330 (LSI SAS3008 chipset) that came in our new R230 servers is 12Gb SAS x 8 channels (two 4-lane mini-SAS connectors) and not-only supports pass-through of non-RAID disks by default, but also has an IT mode option in the firmware.
=> https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewt...id=451d51ab62b829e5efd90130854d593a#p30659981

I'll confirm once I get my server setup.

pbryan

Dabbler
Just adding some additional detail: @SweetAndLow is exactly right, updating FreeNAS will overwrite the loader.conf and devices.hints files thus removing this fix. For that reason, I wouldn't recommend doing that fix on any system with critical data unless you understand that you may loose your pool if you update.

pbryan

Dabbler
Is it working fine?
I'll respond as I have the same setup (R530 + PERC H330). Yes; as of 9.10.2 U6, it all works perfectly. You are able to enable pass-through on the H330 and the drives show correctly in FreeNAS.

M H

Explorer
Just to follow up. Yes the Hba330 in a R530 works fantastic with ZFS. The Hba330 even comes already flashed with the IT firmware. It's natively supported with no need to enable the mrsas driver. This is as of 9.10 U6

BlackMoonWolf

Dabbler
Just to follow up. Yes the Hba330 in a R530 works fantastic with ZFS. The Hba330 even comes already flashed with the IT firmware. It's natively supported with no need to enable the mrsas driver. This is as of 9.10 U6

Can you show us the output of
Code:
dmesg | grep transfers
to verify that the drives are operating at the appropriate speeds?

BlackMoonWolf

Dabbler
Context:

I have purchased a Dell PERC H330 (P/N: 04Y5H1) thinking that I could flash it to IT. I have it installed in an R710. A friend of mine also has an R710 with another SAS3008-based card. Despite the fact that it's a server with a backplane that is ostensibly limited to 6Gb/s, he is showing 12Gb/s connectivity. (1200Mb/s according to dmesg.)

It doesn't make sense but it's working. (I don't want to get into the debate about backplanes here.)

I've been trying to figure out what firmware I can flash this card with... For now, I can't even use MegaCLI to access the card. The card's BIOS menu shows either RAID mode or HBA mode. I am currently using the latter and can see the drives as "daX" devices in FreeNAS.

But THIS is the problem:

da0: 150.000MB/s transfers da1: 150.000MB/s transfers da2: 150.000MB/s transfers da3: 150.000MB/s transfers da4: 150.000MB/s transfers da5: 150.000MB/s transfers

That's TERRIBLE. Makes zero sense as to why it would scale down 12Gb/s drives to almost NOTHING in speed. At the minimum, it shouldn't be running anything lower than 600MB/s...

I've been searching for the information but either it doesn't exist or I'm just NOT finding it. All I have been able to do thus far is download the firmware shown for the 9300-8i from Broadcom but if the sas3flash tool doesn't see the adapter (it doesn't) then that won't do me any good.

I'm about fed up with this, honestly. I'm thinking about destroying this adapter with a hammer then putting my old HBA in. It works at the correct speeds...

Last edited: