why is TrueNAS calling home every minute?

stone

Cadet
Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 11.11.45 AM.png

If you disable the option Check for Updates Daily and Download if Available, does this behavior cease?

(You'd think "daily" means it checks once per day.)

NickF

Guru
I have a guess here, and I haven't looked at the code on GitHub to verify.
But I am assuming if this was "normal" behavior we would get this question here more frequently. There must be some problem with OPs environment which causes a bunch of retries every minute or so. I've seen similar behavior from other things when I block outbound connections on my firewall (or by changing DNS resolution for that matter)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I think you need to consider what AdGuard is... a DNS server.

Just because a system is checking for a name to get its IP address doesn't mean it is contacting that address.

I suggest you look at your firewall and consider a rule to log traffic from your TrueNAS system (in general or to any or all of those systems) in order to really be sure that you're seeing what you think.

danb35

Hall of Famer
But I am assuming if this was "normal" behavior we would get this question here more frequently
How many people are checking their DNS server logs to see what queries are being made? I know I'm not--though I just did check mine and I'm seeing the same behavior.
that's a rather tone deaf response.
If you like, but that doesn't make it any less true. DNS lookups don't mean that any data is being sent or requested from the name that's being queried. They do tend to suggest it, but it's certainly possible that something could be just making the DNS queries without doing more. I'd still consider that odd and unexpected behavior though.