Why does TrueNAS Core have no buzzer alarm function?

dktech

Explorer
Shouldn't the buzzer alarm be a basic function as a NAS system? Why has the TrueNAS team never considered it? It seems that there is no detailed tutorial in this regard, which is very unfriendly to novice users.

That would require the system is have a small piezo-electric speaker in the system.
I suspect the most of the systems offered by iXsystems don't have one, or if they do, it is only for BIOS boot beep codes.

dktech

Explorer
That would require the system is have a small piezo-electric speaker in the system.
I suspect the most of the systems offered by iXsystems don't have one, or if they do, it is only for BIOS boot beep codes.
In fact, ix, like many individual users, chooses supermicro motherboards more often. Supermicro motherboards already have buzzers, but they never use them.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Shouldn't the buzzer alarm be a basic function as a NAS system?
I don't see why it would. A NAS operates on a network, and therefore is often--probably "usually"--remote from its users. So who would hear the buzzer going, under whatever circumstances you think that should happen?

dktech

Explorer
I don't see why it would. A NAS operates on a network, and therefore is often--probably "usually"--remote from its users. So who would hear the buzzer going, under whatever circumstances you think that should happen?
Because I found that sometimes system alerts cannot be sent by email, and there are also many users who do not set up email notifications.

hear ya go! pun intended.

Seriously, it appears it has to be enabled in the kernel to use spkrtest command in CORE.

I wasn't able to find a tunable. Might have to be compiled in.

Code:
root@NAS-1[/boot]# spkrtest
You have no write access to /dev/speaker or the speaker device is
not enabled in kernel. Cannot play any melody! See spkr(4).

Perhaps submit a ticket requesting it be enabled.

Last edited:
Because I found that sometimes system alerts cannot be sent by email, and there are also many users who do not set up email notifications.

I figured out how to make the speaker on my QNAP NAS running CORE to beep.

Code:
sh -c "echo -e '\a' > /dev/console"

Code:
#!/bin/sh

for ((i = 0; i < 20; i++));
        do
                echo -e '\a' > /dev/console
                sleep 1
        done

Last edited:

dktech

Explorer

dktech

Explorer
I figured out how to make the speaker on my QNAP NAS running CORE to beep.

Code:
sh -c "echo -e '\a' > /dev/console"

Code:
#!/bin/sh

for ((i = 0; i < 20; i++));
        do
                echo -e '\a' > /dev/console
                sleep 1
        done
Excuse me, how should I use it?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
And that is over the awful fan noise!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Been there ...

dktech

Explorer
Then can we make the buzzer sound when the TrueNAS sends out an alarm? I believe this feature is available in the TrueNAS MINI.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Even for home users I think an audible alarm instead of an email is a really bad idea. Do you have a scenario where there is an advantage?

As to the email setup: If someone is unable or unwilling to do that little bit of work, they don't care about their data anyway.

dktech

Explorer
Even for home users I think an audible alarm instead of an email is a really bad idea. Do you have a scenario where there is an advantage?

As to the email setup: If someone is unable or unwilling to do that little bit of work, they don't care about their data anyway.
I don't think this feature is redundant for data security.

AlexGG

Contributor
Do you have a scenario where there is an advantage?

The buzzer, integrated into the machine itself, is less likely to become disconnected or fail in some other manner than an email server.

So if someone sets up an email notification, and then a year after, the email fails to arrive (because of a mail server change or because appropriate ports got blocked on the firewall during the year), the buzzer is still likely to work.

Seriously, is anyone going to notice a tiny built in piezo-electric speaker in a server closet full of fans whirring at full speed?

I think you need one of these. :smile:

81reTFi2vfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg