When I putty into server and do ls or ls -l at ~# all I get are ??? in place of file or folder names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Wilson

Explorer
System appears to be fine and in my case if I do a cd .. then a ls all the files are there and life is good. Where to look to see what is up?

Sakuru

Guru
Screenshot please.

Terry Wilson

Explorer
Screenshot please.

upload_2016-12-1_1-5-34.png

Followed by:

Attachments

• Freenas Screenshot 2.jpg
    Freenas Screenshot 2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 320

Sakuru

Guru
Oh that is weird. Check your character set. Window --> Translation --> Remote character set.

Terry Wilson

Explorer
Oh that is weird. Check your character set. Window --> Translation --> Remote character set.
Currently set to Putty default - UTF-8

Again it only does it at root, you can do cd .. and then ls -l and its perfect

Sakuru

Guru
In FreeNAS go to System --> Update and run Verify Install.

Terry Wilson

Explorer

Terry Wilson

Explorer
Anyone got any grand ideas?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Should there be that many files in roots home directory? What do you do when you ssh into your server? Is it only files in /root/? How about files in your pool?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Terry Wilson

Explorer
Should there be that many files in roots home directory? What do you do when you ssh into your server? Is it only files in /root/? How about files in your pool?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Beats me...its root have no personal files there, they are all system files. I ssh into root (I SSH as root) and yes its only files in root that have ??? for what once was a readable file name. Files in the pool and everything else is perfect. unit performs perfect.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Looks like they are all 0 size, so my bet is you can safely delete them.

Terry Wilson

Explorer
yeah, good point. Just don't want to hose the OS if these are legit files but just corrupted file names.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Note that they were all created on September 15. Are these all in the /root/ directory? What was done on September 15?

Terry Wilson

Explorer
Sept 15th? Hummmm man that was ages ago... not sure unless it was a system restore from another NAS config file (mistake) to this one, then a rollback to a good restore point/backup from the correct config file?

So these are just root user (i.e. home dir) and can be deleted?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Things writing into the root user directory make me nervous, as do batch-deleting things. I might be persuaded that moving them into a directory to see if anything breaks would be reasonably safe, but only after a complete backup of both FreeNAS configuration and all volumes to another device. And then only with an extra bootable USB repair stick, hip waders, several rolls of duct tape, three sizes of vice-grips, and, of course, eye protection.

Terry Wilson

Explorer
Things writing into the root user directory make me nervous, as do batch-deleting things. I might be persuaded that moving them into a directory to see if anything breaks would be reasonably safe, but only after a complete backup of both FreeNAS configuration and all volumes to another device. And then only with an extra bootable USB repair stick, hip waders, several rolls of duct tape, three sizes of vice-grips, and, of course, eye protection.

I can backup the config, but dont' have close to the space I need to hold that much data, its a backup repository.

Status
Not open for further replies.