Hang in 'ls' in one directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neek

Dabbler
I have a new install of FreeNAS 9.2.1.2 running on very new hardware. It's been up and totally trouble-free for about a month so far. I've got 16GB of ECC RAM in the machine (Xeon processor, SuperMicro mobo, gold plus power supply), and about 16TB of usable space (RAIDZ2, 6 disks x 4TB). The system is very lightly used (just me and one minor daemon).

The problem I'm seeing is that when I go to a specific directory and list its contents (either through Samba or by ssh'ing into the box and typing 'ls' in that directory, the shell / process hangs. Ctrl-Z or Ctrl-C don't suspend/kill the ls process. If I open another shell, I don't see anything obvious. I ran 'zpool status' and all appears to be healthy. If I attempt to 'ls -l' the parent directory, it hangs on exactly the directory that's causing me grief. I was able to chown the directory in question, but when I chmod'ed it, that also hung.

Any ideas how I can diagnose what's wrong in this directory (which only has about 5 files, each of which are only a few hundred bytes)? Other directories in that dataset report their contents without any issues.

thanks!

Neek

Dabbler
No, forgot to mention it, but nothing in the logs that I can see..

Neek

Dabbler
I rebooted the freenas box this morning and now the directory is readable. During the reboot, the box hung after sync'ing the disks and I had to physically hit the reset button to reboot.

toadman

Guru
Interesting. My system sometimes hangs on reboot as well (up through 9.2.1.2.), requiring a reset to move on. I've never had an issue on the other side of the reboot. I've just considered it an "inconvenience" to date. It would be interesting to find out where/why it's hanging.

Status
Not open for further replies.