Directory case sensitivity issue with macOS client

Mark Levitt

Explorer
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out a strange issue where I have two directory names that differ only by case. Specifically, I have one directory named "Lady Gaga" alongside a second directory named "Lady GaGa" (notice the difference case of the second 'G'). I'm sharing the dataset via SMB and connecting to it with a macOS Mojave (10.14.6) client.

From the Finder, it sometimes shows both directories with their different case names. However, whichever one I open, it only shows the contents of the one with the uppercase G. Then, if I go back to the parent directory, it shows two directories with the same identical name and case for a split second. Then it changes one of them back to a lowercase g.

The contents of the two directories are different (the one with the lowercase g has an extra sub directory). However, from the Mac, I can only access the one with the uppercase G.

Accessing the Freenas share via SSH, I can see and access both directories:
Code:
freenas% cd Lady\ Gaga
freenas% ls -l
total 113
drwxr-sr-x  2 mlevitt  family   4 Jun 30  2014 Marry the Night - Single
drwxr-sr-x  2 mlevitt  family  27 Aug 14  2013 The Fame Monster
freenas% cd ..
freenas% cd Lady\ GaGa
freenas% ls -l
total 49
drwxr-xr-x  2 mlevitt  family  4 Jun 21  2017 Marry the Night - Single

From the mac terminal, it sees both cases, but no matter witch one I CD into, I always get the contents of the directory with the uppercase G, like in the Finder.
Code:
➜  Music cd Lady\ Gaga
➜  Lady Gaga ls -l
total 32
drwx------@ 1 mlevitt  staff  16384 21 Jun  2017 Marry the Night - Single
➜  Lady Gaga cd ..
➜  Music cd Lady\ GaGa
➜  Lady GaGa ls -l
total 32
drwx------@ 1 mlevitt  staff  16384 21 Jun  2017 Marry the Night - Single
➜  Lady GaGa

This is the SMB share configuration:
Code:
[iTunes]
    aio write size = 0
    ea support = No
    level2 oplocks = No
    mangled names = illegal
    oplocks = No
    path = /mnt/tank/iTunes
    read only = No
    strict locking = Yes
    vfs objects = fruit streams_xattr zfs_space zfsacl
    nfs4:acedup = merge
    nfs4:chown = true
    fruit:resource = stream
    fruit:metadata = stream
    streams_xattr:store_stream_type = no
    streams_xattr:prefix = user.
    fruit:locking = netatalk

The dataset was created using the default "sensitive" case sensitivity. Could that be the problem?

FreeNAS is at version 11.3-U4.1.

Any idea?

Mark Levitt

Explorer
Code:
freenas% zfs get casesensitivity tank/iTunes
NAME         PROPERTY         VALUE        SOURCE
tank/iTunes  casesensitivity  sensitive    -

seanm

Guru
Mark, with macOS Disk Utility.app, could you try creating a disk image using case-sensitive HFS or APFS and see if you reproduce the same issues? If so, then it's a macOS bug.

Mark Levitt

Explorer
Hi,

Sure. Works exactly as expected. I created a case-sensitive APFS volume, mounted it, and created two identical directories with different cases. I was able to enter and create files and view them with Finder and from the terminal.

Code:
  TestDiskImage ls -lR
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 mlevitt  staff  96 18 Aug 16:06 Lady GaGa
drwxr-xr-x  3 mlevitt  staff  96 18 Aug 16:06 Lady Gaga

./Lady GaGa:
total 0
-rw-r--r--  1 mlevitt  staff  0 18 Aug 16:06 uppercase_G

./Lady Gaga:
total 0
-rw-r--r--  1 mlevitt  staff  0 18 Aug 16:06 lowercase_g

Mark Levitt

Explorer
I've noticed the same behaviour on my Freenas home directory via SMB, so it's not just that share.

Mark Levitt

Explorer
Hi,

I'll give it a try, but do you mean if I only have MacOS clients vs non MacOS or do you mean SMB vs AFP?

Mark Levitt

Explorer
OK, setting case sensitive = true seems to have fixed the problem. Should this be the default for any installation using only SMB, rather than AFP?

Mark Levitt

Explorer
OK, but I'm confused about why the default doesn't work properly, then. Is there something non-standard about how I've configured the server or clients? I don't think I've done anything to change the out of the box behaviour of SMB on the mac and the freenas shares are using the defaults.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
OK, but I'm confused about why the default doesn't work properly, then. Is there something non-standard about how I've configured the server or clients? I don't think I've done anything to change the out of the box behaviour of SMB on the mac and the freenas shares are using the defaults.
Windows is case-sensitive but case preserving.

Mark Levitt

Explorer
So out of the box, it doesn't work properly for Mac clients unless you add that flag? Perhaps that should be documented?