What's the best way of achieving this? Newbie question

camster

Cadet
Being new to this, I'm a bit unsure as to how to achieve the below, because I don't understand completely how the dataset permissions work and if they can be shared across different users and services.

I basically want one dataset - which is a backup/sync of all my docs/pics/etc from my home pc. Within that dataset, I want certain folders (work docs) to be synced to my work pc and laptop. I also want the whole dataset to be available via FTP.

Is this possible? If so, is there a particular order I should set things up in?

Also, what cloud service would you recommend?

Thanks for any help!

Jessep

Patron
You can use standard SMB shares.

Sync is best handled from the client side something like Synctoy
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=15155

You want your entire dataset available from the internet with FTP? This is likely a security nightmare.

You should use VPN at the minimum rather than FTP. In this day and age I would suggest MFA on your VPN connection as well.

camster

Cadet
Thanks. I take the point about VPN. But can synctoy work across the internet? I didn't think it could. I could use it to back up my home pc to my server (both within my home network), but presumably would still need some cloud software to sync my pc at work and my laptop when travelling?

Does VPN replace the need for cloud software?

Jessep

Patron
If you properly setup VPN your remote PC would look and act like it was internal to your home network. So synctoy would work and you should need nothing you wouldn't use at home.